Help Choosing a Smoker for a Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, an update for the thousands waiting at the edge of their seats...

Went with the 18.5" WSM. One session in and it worked great, held good temps and was really fun, we can't wait to make more. My only issue was non-smoker related - I need to either make a less salty rub or go less heavy-handed with how much rub I put onto the meat. We used the rub on the virtual weber bullet site for the best ribs in the universe.

Thanks again to everyone for their opinion and input.

Well, I've taken pictures of all my big moments in brewing, but unfortunately never thought about doing it for my first smoke. I do still have the lingering aroma of smoke on me, and that is pretty friggin awesome.

I used to use a home modified Weber bullet. It came charcoal and I bought an aftermarket propane set up. I did many a rib and pork butt on it and was pleased with the results, I had to keep lifting the entire unit to put more smoke wood on the burner, and of course fill the water tray. I have a propane Masterbuilt XL, and love it. The four racks will hold 8 pork butts, or 8 tri tips or 12 or so racks of ribs. Is it overkill, honestly, yes, it is for most uses, but, when I have people over to the house, two pork butts is just an appetizer. :)
It is also very stingy with the chip pan and water pan. I maybe open the door to look every two or so hours, to see if it needs water or wood.

Well, an update for the thousands waiting at the edge of their seats...

Went with the 18.5" WSM. One session in and it worked great, held good temps and was really fun, we can't wait to make more. My only issue was non-smoker related - I need to either make a less salty rub or go less heavy-handed with how much rub I put onto the meat. We used the rub on the virtual weber bullet site for the best ribs in the universe.

Thanks again to everyone for their opinion and input.

What's going in the smoker this weekend?

What's going in the smoker this weekend?

We did a pork shoulder and chicken leg quarters to make pulled pork and pulled chicken. Also switched to a different dry rub - "Meathead's Memphis Dust". Liked this new dry rub a bit more.

Meathead's Memphis Dust:
Ingredients
3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup Morton's kosher salt
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons rosemary powder

Back