Confused Newbie: Pilots,Banjo Burners & Automation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fabes

Reaction score
Hello all,
Let me first start by saying THANK YOU to everyone for all of their posts on their DIYs, especially Brutus 10s. I have been admiring and reading from afar and decided to build my own brutus 10.

I have no experience with pilots and electricity, but I do have some friends that are pretty decently experienced with it.

So, I have my frame built out and welded and have purchased 3 banjo burners from Northern Brewer: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/cast-iron-banjo-burner-burner-only.html, as well as the 30psi Regulator Kit http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/30psi-regulator-kit-for-banjo-burner.html

Now, after researching for days & days and hours & hours, I'm still not quite sure what items to purchase for the pilot and automation. I have seen many opinions and some pictures, but no real direction because a lot of the pictures have been moved over time and are no longer there. From what I understand, I need to purchase these products (see below) for the burner pilot. Let me know if this is correct and/or what I need to add or purchase.

For Pilot:
- Gas Valve Part # Honeywell VR8300A3500
- Pilot Burner Q314A4586
- Thermocouple Q390A1061
Where do you recommend I purchase the above parts?

Now, for the automation & control panel:
If using the above products (again, if all are correct), what products should be used to make the automation control panel?

Again, thanking everyone in advance for their time and advice. After I get this all figured out and built, I vow to create a post with all of this info for newbies to come.

Cheers!
-Pete

I am not sure about this since I used the other Honeywell valve, but I am fairly sure that the intended valve is for low pressure propane or natural gas. So the 30 psi regulator will not work.

Soo you need a power source for the valves and ignition, you need a transformer for the appropriate voltage.

Secondly you need a temperature controller/PID, either an Auber Instruments, of a Love Controller, or even the cheap eBay controller can work.

You will need an appropriate temp probe for the controller/PID.

You also should probably give us some info into what kind of system you plan on running for the best help.

-G

HDIr0n,
The system will be a single tear, RIMS system, using Propane. As far as the valves, I really don't care what kind I get. I just want to make sure it works. Any suggestions????

I'm trying to build the system similar to jlandin's shown here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my...10-some-nice-modifications-172927/index4.html, and based on what I've read, these are the products I need for pilot burner and automation...

Burner/Pilot:
HLT and MLT
• Valves: Honeywell 1/2", 24 Vac Standing Pilot Gas Valve (sku: vr8200A2132)
• Thermocouple: 24” (SKU: 390A1046)
• Pilot Burners: Honeywell Q314A4586

LP Conversion Kits came with the pilot burners and the honeywell valves.

Control Box:
• 2 PID Controllers (HLT & MLT) from Auber Instraments : Universal 1/16 DIN PID Temperature Controller
• 2 Panel mount connector for RTD sensor - Model: RTDCON from Auber Instraments
• 2 RTD Probes: Liquid tight RTD sensor, 60 mm probe, 1/4 NPT Thread (SKU PT100-L60NPT)

That is basically the same setup that I am running now, they work well and I feel they are much safer since they have a safety shut off in case the pilot goes out.

You still need to get a low pressure propane regulator to feed the valves, they will not work properly if you have too much pressure going to them.

-G

Thanks HDIr0n,
Any suggestions on which low pressure propane regulator I should purchase?

Back