Gnaughty Gnome Special Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know I'm not even a huge fan of bitters, but reading this thread makes me want to brew this. Just the joy coming from Laughing Gnome is infectious, and I know from reading past posts what a fan of bitters you are. Congratulations on approaching nirvana with your brew Laughing Gnome.

So now that you've perfected this one, are you going to start working on other recipes?

Well, I've already started (Yet again) on Gnice Gnome. It will just be a scaled down version of this one with a couple of tweaks into an ordinary bitter, so nothing too exciting. The idea of some kind of independence from the LHBS will be the same though. I originally intended to make an ordinary bitter, but my skill set was not up to it so I ramped it up a little. Hopefully, now, I have learned enough to make a smaller beer. Fingers crossed! :eek:

After that I will have my two house ales and will just keep those on supply while I have a go at brewing other people's recipes on this forum. There is a LOT of interesting stuff out there! That is something I always intended to do, but always got distracted from by my own obsession! :p

You know I'm not even a huge fan of bitters, but reading this thread makes me want to brew this. Just the joy coming from Laughing Gnome is infectious, and I know from reading past posts what a fan of bitters you are. Congratulations on approaching nirvana with your brew Laughing Gnome.

Thanks! :D

I wish my brother would take a vacation over here. I want to try this beer on him in the worst way!! :D

This is now on my brew list.

I have always been a little stuck on english ale, but have not known how to pursue it. When I lived in Asheville, there was a bar with Speckled Hen on draft. It became our session beer very quickly. And I like beer better in the high 40's and low 50's better than other temps for sure.

Then you throw in your concept of home roasting... ever since I started buying in bulk I have been playing with that in my brewery. Buying a solid stock to make a pleasing range of brews for the year.

I brewed Rover's shiver me bitters and last night it reached that first day of good pints.

So I have high hopes for what this recipe will teach me.

Thanks, LGI. :mug:

I'll say it again though, i was not going for a Speckled hen clone. However, if you like Speckled Hen, then you will probably like GG too. :)

Don't like Speckled Hen at all, but I've had this on tap for about a month now and it's awesome!

Very drinkable, nice and dry but still retaining a nice mouthfeel.

Special B was nice but I think the 150L British Crystal would be a better sub for the homemade crystal. I used 8oz Special B, 8oz Victory malt.

I'll have to snap a pint photo and append this post with it.

I'm glad you liked it! Your substitutions were good tweaks.I would agree with the 150L British crystal, but when I tried the special B I got all excited and went straight to a home roasted approximation as home roasting is an aspect that particularly interests me. I roasted MO, so it is probably closer to 150L than special B anyway.:eek: Perhaps I should adjust that substitution in the OP?

You mentioned the mouth feel. Anything to do with the oats you think?

Could be. Looks like I screwed up on entering your recipe into beersmith though. Didn't notice it was a 10G batch for anything other than the pale malt, apparently. :drunk:

I ended up with

78% Maris Otter
5.5% Oats
5.5% Special B
5.5% Victory
5.5% Brown Sugar
32 IBU from a 60 minute addition of Willamette
3/4oz of Willamette at flameout

I guess this is more of an "In the Style of" Gnaughty Gnome Special Bitter. I also screwed up Orfy's Hobgoblin clone that day as well. Both came out excellent, but didn't exactly stick to the recipes. :(

Thank you for posting this recipe. I substituted American C120 for your crystal as I lacked the time to make it, and had to use Belgian biscuit in place of your home toasted malt.

This brew is currently in secondary cold crashed. Crystal clear, the sample was just drank and is delightful! Wonderful complexity for such an easy to brew beer, let alone one of low gravity.

I also have another English beer fermenting with all English ingredients; the taste is wonderful, and I look forward to brewing your GG with all English ingredients next time around.

Cheers

Back