Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Degassing just means to get out the dissolved CO2 in the wine. This can be accomplished by whisking, using a drill with a stirrer on it, or putting it under vacuum. Wine will naturally degas over time, but there are many schools of thought to how long it takes etc. Degassing is important if you want to bottle something thats totally still. Ie. if you bottle something that still has CO2 in it, it might have little bubbles/hiss when you pop the top.

For your situation, blending with beer, I don't think degassing is of utmost importance.

Degassing is just lowering the amount of dissolved CO2 in the wine. Dissolved CO2 is carbonic acid and does lower the PH of the wine. So since this is already really acidic as a lemon wine anything that can be done to keep the PH in check will allow the yeast to be less stressed. If degassing is not done then worst case scenario is that your yeast becomes too stressed and the wine stalls too sweet. Then it will be hard to start the ferment back up.

Yeah I mean I would wait til it looks pretty much done before mixing, obv. dont want to add gushing wine to beer. Also, great info from Arp, so when you are making the pee you better degas to allow PH to be suitable.

As a brewer I appreciate your confusion. Aside from what these fine people have told you, I noticed degassing had another effect. When I did that the product dropped clear much faster and the fining was more effective. I guess the convection created form bubbles keeps stuff in suspension.

I kegged last night after adding spakloid , k met, and 6 cups of sugar and it foamed around co2 pop is it wierd or should i move it back to carboy to clear? It made a mess.

adriedel said:
I kegged last night after adding spakloid , k met, and 6 cups of sugar and it foamed around co2 pop is it wierd or should i move it back to carboy to clear? It made a mess.

You should add sparkaloid and k-meta and waited a week or two before adding the sugar. You gave it a new dose of fermentables to chew thru before the k-meta had a chance to work. Let it settle a couple of weeks, rack, add k-meta and wait. After a week or two add more sugar. It'll be stronger than the original recipe but it'll be fine

Made a batch yesterday on top of my yeast cake from a welch's wine. This morning there were no bubbles coming from the airlock. I pitched some yeast so hopefully it will start up today.

The RealLemon juice had preservatives, but I added yeast nutrient and energizer.

dpsimswm said:
Made a batch yesterday on top of my yeast cake from a welch's wine. This morning there were no bubbles coming from the airlock. I pitched some yeast so hopefully it will start up today.

The RealLemon juice had preservatives, but I added yeast nutrient and energizer.

Give it some time. It could take a while for this to get started fermenting

When you mixed up the must. Did you add the 2 bottles of lemon juice and whip it up good then let it rest before putting it on your yeast cake? It is best to allow the must rest to gas off the preservatives.

Whether you did or did not it can still take off. Everytime you start to notice the yeast collecting at the bottom make sure to stir it up and whip it as best you can to introduce more oxygen. Within 48 hours it should start to ferment.

I added the lemon juice to my boil but I didnt really mix it up in the carboy. I did get a bubble through the airlock this afternoon. SO FINGERS ARR CROSSED

dpsimswm said:
I added the lemon juice to my boil but I didnt really mix it up in the carboy. I did get a bubble through the airlock this afternoon. SO FINGERS ARR CROSSED

You added it while making the inverted sugar?

My batch went into the keg yesterday. Taste is great however the sulfur smell is still there. I used Montrachet from an Apfelwine ferment, next time I will use something cleaner

It is not super bad but is against the original instructions. When making your invert sugar you only use 1/3 cup of lemon juice and bring it to near boil. You mix that with remaining water and cold lemon juice. Then add water or sugar to adjust gravity to 1.07. that should sit and hopefully be whipped up and aerated through the next 24 hours before pitching onto yeast cake.

Do not give up hope just whip up the must every 6-10 hours and it should start up eventually.

My batch went into the keg yesterday. Taste is great however the sulfur smell is still there. I used Montrachet from an Apfelwine ferment, next time I will use something cleaner

Glad to see it coming along. I use yeast cakes of Lalvin 71b and never have sulfer smells. Might be worth a shot your next try.

Hey experts! I want to make a batch of this for the summer time but it is illegal to bring glass containers on the river or lake so my question is has anybody bottled this in plastic bottles? I promise five gallons won't last more than a month or two

winenewb172 said:
Hey experts! I want to make a batch of this for the summer time but it is illegal to bring glass containers on the river or lake so my question is has anybody bottled this in plastic bottles? I promise five gallons won't last more than a month or two

Now that Gatorade has got some real kick to it!!! :)

I can't see any reason it would in the short term. It may leach some Chems from the plastic but who isn't gonna get cancer? Try googling alcohol safe plastic bottles?

It is not super bad but is against the original instructions. When making your invert sugar you only use 1/3 cup of lemon juice and bring it to near boil. You mix that with remaining water and cold lemon juice. Then add water or sugar to adjust gravity to 1.07. that should sit and hopefully be whipped up and aerated through the next 24 hours before pitching onto yeast cake.

Do not give up hope just whip up the must every 6-10 hours and it should start up eventually.

Its bubbling nicely today without even having aerated it. Doing as well as my banana wine from two days before.

Its bubbling nicely today without even having aerated it. Doing as well as my banana wine from two days before.

Glad top hear it is working. Also interesting to know you did not aerate it. I always do aerate my SP 2 - 3 times a day the first few days. I figured it helped but yours did not seem to take too awfully long to get going. :mug: Here is to a happy ferment.

It would work just fine...get some pet bottles.

I use cleaned and sanitized Vitamin Water bottles with no problem. Father in law drinks a boatload of the stuff and saves the bottles for me. Never had an issue but the skeeter pee isn't in there more than a couple months.

Lbussy, hook your gas line up to the out post. Crack the lid and bubble some co2 through your pee. That has helped clear sulphur from some of mine in the past.

Does any ones sketter pee taste kind of bready i used champagne yeast could that be a reason?

Lbussy, hook your gas line up to the out post. Crack the lid and bubble some co2 through your pee. That has helped clear sulphur from some of mine in the past.

when you keg this stuff, are you stabilizing and backsweetening alittle prior to, and then force carbing? i'd like to hear your process. i've got two 5 gallon batches aging and two new corny kegs

LoneTreeFarms said:
when you keg this stuff, are you stabilizing and backsweetening alittle prior to, and then force carbing? i'd like to hear your process. i've got two 5 gallon batches aging and two new corny kegs

I haven't kegged it. I've just used co2 to scrub the sulphur out. If I did, I would stabilize and backsweeten then force carb.

Well, I just started my first batch of SP, and I already screwed up! I topped up to 7.5 gallons (I'm doing a 1.5x batch) but I forgot to add the lemon juice. I put it all in the bucket, which brought the total up over 8 gallons, and now I'm wondering what to do while I wait for the must to "rest" before I get the yeast starter going. I'm at 1.066 now, I kinda want to bump it up to 1.070 or greater while I've already got 10.5 pounds of sugar in the batch

I only have about 1.5 inches of head space in the bucket as it sits now. Should I drain it back down to 7.5 gallons and just call the extra a loss? Save the extra and dump it in the next batch? Drink it now? I suppose since I still have 48oz of lemon juice to go in, plus the yeast starter, I should pull the volume down a bit, right? I don't know what the foaming is like on this (is it proper to call it a kraeusen?), does it get pretty tall?

What would you do?

EDIT: I went ahead and drained 96oz of the must back into my original RealLemon bottles and labeled them as "must" for a future and/or mini batch. I'm back down to 7.5 gallons, missing a tiny bit of nutrient and energizer (whatever was diluted into the whole batch, so I'm basically down a bit over 9% - not worried about that) but otherwise ready to go. I bumped the entire batch up to 1.070 before I parted it out, too.

Also, 500th post!!!

Congratulations on the post! :)

Throw a cup of sugar in there at the next feeding, or not, either way I think it will be fine. If you weigh your sugar it ends up being over the stated amount anyway. 1.066 and 1.070 are kissing cousins. It all depends on what you can live with. I think it should be fine.

You are 6% off on volume and 6% on gravity. Let it roll and go on to the next challenge. :)

I'm just getting ready to sweeten my SP, first batch ever, and it has a pretty strong H2S smell. I'm going to toss in about .1-.2ppm of copper sulfate solution and then rack it unless anyone has a better solution?

I made a few batches using a berry blend, it was good, I changed up the recipe and made a berry blend Melomel, amazing stuff! At two months old, it took a bronze medal at the Missouri Valley competition!

I am interested in doing a bach of this for the summer. I have been reading the thread and sub'd to it. I have a question I hope someone one here with more experience can answer. I see that many report fermenting out at something less then zero.
How can you possibly get a below zero graviy? If pure, distilled water at 1.00 has no sugar, how can you get less then no sugar to read below zero?
I am a confussed noob (have done 1 bach of beer and no wine before) and could not find an anwer on Google.

Thannks,

Chris

I just kegged mine and it keeps coming out of the post when i carb it has this happened to anyone else?
And what can i do to solve it.

I am interested in doing a bach of this for the summer. I have been reading the thread and sub'd to it. I have a question I hope someone one here with more experience can answer. I see that many report fermenting out at something less then zero.
How can you possibly get a below zero graviy? If pure, distilled water at 1.00 has no sugar, how can you get less then no sugar to read below zero?
I am a confussed noob (have done 1 bach of beer and no wine before) and could not find an anwer on Google.

Thannks,

Chris

Alcohol has a lower SG than water. So the sugars are replaced with alcohol getting the fg below 0

Back