DIY Canned food rolling organizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njporter

Reaction score
I stumbled upon this and love the idea but it looks like it has some faults and was wondering if anyone had any ideas to improve it?

http://www.classyclutter.net/2012/05/build-your-own-extra-storage-diy-canned.html

Can+Cab_2_PINTEREST.jpg

Can+Organizer+PLAN.jpg

Can+Cab_1.jpg

Can+Cab_3.jpg

My biggest concern is that its free standing and i would worry it would move side to side to much when pulling it and out (or scratch up the wall to much)

Agreed that if it is freestanding it is an accident waiting to happen. One could mount a 30" full extension drawer slide on top and use non-caster wheels.

to do a draw slide on top though you would need the organizer to go as high as the ceiling right? if you decide to put one on the bottom, you would need to screw it to the kitchen floor right?

Look up V Groove wheels, they use a track system mounted on the floor. Might be useful for this situation. A ceiling mounted track would work also.

Why not mount a full extension rail on the wall side about 2/3 of the way up, if you're worried about it tipping? You need to be higher than the center of gravity but you don't need to be top and bottom.

For the record though, you should be fine with fixed wheels...hell the bottom of a set of roller blades would work great, as long as you create a jig to mount them in a line.

The biggest issue you can run into is the habit of putting all your cans at eye level and making it top heavy. If the center of gravity goes above the handle, it may want to tip instead of roll out.

Back