double propane burner for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davebstock

Reaction score
I am shopping for a burner setup. I found one that is on legs to place it at waist height and has two 30,000 btu burners. Would this be better than a turkey fryer with the ability to drain to a lower pot from the brew pot spout? It is at Bomgars.

30,000 BTU's may be a bit light for larger boils -- my stovetop has a 35,000 btu burner and it takes a while to bring 4 gallons to a boil. My small turkey fryer burner is 58,000 BTU's and my banjo is over 100k. Also, make sure the table can handle the weight of your full kettle. It really comes down to big your batches will be.

If you are just looking to raise the height, I used to use four concrete blocks to raise my burner, recently I built a wooden box that I use to carry my brewing gear and it doubles as my burner stand.

IMG00027-20130104-1110.jpg

I have a 2 burner camp stove and it will not bring 7 gallons to a good rolling boil. Skip it and get a turkey fryer.

I used to use the side burner on my Jennair grill which was 45K BTU IIRC and it took forever. A burner is not something you want to buy and then replace again any time soon, so I'd get a better one. I got a Bayou banjo a few months ago and I love it!

Thanks for all the great advice everyone. It looks like I'll want atleast 60k btu's or more. Ill check out the banjo and see what that burns at. I'm glad I disnt go out and get a regular turkey fryer. Looks like a lot of them are 30k btu's.

jdub1782 said:
If you are just looking to raise the height, I used to use four concrete blocks to raise my burner, recently I built a wooden box that I use to carry my brewing gear and it doubles as my burner stand.

Cool box. What fits in there?

It is 23" x 16" x 14" -- I store my outside brewing stuff in there. Thermometers, hydrometer, sample jar, hop spider, hoses, various small containers for vorlauf, etc

I keep most of my gear in the basement, so it reduces the number of trips to the garage on brewday.

Back