GE 7.1 CF Chest freezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmoe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well about 4 months ago my 14 cubic foot chest freezer died. As the wifey didn't like the gigantic chest freezer in the basement, I bought a 7 cu ft. chest freezer day after Thanksgiving.

IMG_4660.jpg

The original plan was to use two, 2-tap towers and have 4 taps. I got two free towers but the chrome was coming off and I decided I didn't want to deal with resurfacing the towers.

So right now I am working on the lid to the keezer. It will have four taps in a pvc tower that I am either going to shell out in oak, tile, or spray paint. The top is 23/32 plywood with 1x2 oak on the top with 1x4 oak on the sides.

IMG_4665.jpg

The tower is a 3" pvc pipe with a 4x4 pvc fence post. I am just using end caps to cover the ends. They will be held on with small screws so that I still have access to the shanks.

I am going to build a 1x6 oak collar for the chest freezer that the lid will sit on. I am taking the oak off of my dead chest freezer to re-purpose them. Side note: If trying to get rid of liquid nails to remove wood from a dead chest freezer, piano wire works great.

Since it is winter right now, I don't have anywhere good to stain and spray paint so things are moving slowly.

The collar is sanded and nice and almost square. Here is everything dry-fitted.

IMG_4679.jpg

Here is a closeup of the drip dray. It is the drain, a 2" pvc spool piece and then an end cap. I may end up tapping the bottom of each cap and use tubing to a container in the chest freezer for a common drain. I haven't decided yet.

IMG_4682.jpg

Back