Just brewed my first non Mr. Beer batch.... Yesterday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rys06Tbss

Reaction score
Ive been really busy so I didnt get a chance to make this thread till now. I ordered a deluxe brewing kit from Northern and then found out there is Local brew store semi close to my house. I canceled my order and drove out there so I could pick up a kit. I ended up getting a True Gold Brew kit with a 6 gallon plastic carboy and a 5 gallon glass carboy. I picked up a BB American Pale Ale extract kit and decided to get to it when I got home. The last time I attempted to brew anything was with Mr. Beer kit that I got a few years ago... My mom was kind enough to get me that instead of a Monster Brew kit that I really wanted. Had I received the Monster Brew I have a feeling I would be been bit by the hop bug alot sooner. The Mr. Beer brew turned out terrible. I drank about 5 bottles then dumped the rest. For some reason I had the itch to brew once again so I decided to make the jump. Back to yesterday... Everything went good. Took about 3 hours to sanitize and brew my first batch... Its sitting in my fermentor right now. I was a little suprised that this am when I checked it, there was little to no bubbles. I thought the Mr beer was foamy right away. I checked it about 30 min and there are three groups of small bubbles sitting on top of my wort and the air lock it twitching so Im sure something is going on. Anyhow that is all I have for now. Im debating buying another carboy and starting another batch already though.

It definately gets addicting that way, ive got about two cases of pints working on carbination now, a batch in primary bubbling away and wondering if I should sneak away to the LHBS while the wife naps so I can get another recipe started!

It is addicting! I've bought several buckets, and got several more from the local grocery store. I have too many now, but that's OK. Eventually I'll get into mead too and aging barleywine.

I get $70/month for supplies, but often come closer to $100. And once I've ordered my stuff I'm back to looking for new recipes and filling my cart back up!

MoreBeer certainly likes me!

Oh, and I love checking on my beers and smelling the airlocks! Mmmm!

If you keep the fermenter cool (low to mid 60's) the ferment will go slow. No blow offs, no fusel alcohols, no nasty off flavors. It's the single change that got me brewing better beers.

The plastic carboys are much safer than the glass as when you drop them they will bounce or maybe dent or crack but no razor sharp glass fragments scattered about. If you can forgo looking at the beer as it is fermenting (voyeur, those yeasts are reproducing in there) the plastic buckets are nice to work with. Cheap, wide opening to pour the wort into, easy to reach in to clean, and they come with handles for moving them around. The downsides are the may not seal the lid so you can't watch the airlock bubble and they are more easily scratched than glass.

If you keep the fermenter cool (low to mid 60's) the ferment will go slow. No blow offs, no fusel alcohols, no nasty off flavors. It's the single change that got me brewing better beers.

The plastic carboys are much safer than the glass as when you drop them they will bounce or maybe dent or crack but no razor sharp glass fragments scattered about. If you can forgo looking at the beer as it is fermenting (voyeur, those yeasts are reproducing in there) the plastic buckets are nice to work with. Cheap, wide opening to pour the wort into, easy to reach in to clean, and they come with handles for moving them around. The downsides are the may not seal the lid so you can't watch the airlock bubble and they are more easily scratched than glass.

I love watching those yeasties.... ANYWAYS. I am about to pick up a deep freeze and a temperature controller to regulate my fermentation. Been having a lot of blow off issues so hopefully that takes care of it. And just to think... 2 months ago I had never even thought of brewing.. welcome back to the addiction!

The only thing thats keeping me from getting another batch of beer going is my lack of bottles. I currently have about 50. 6 are still full with SNPA and NB Belgo. I should have those finished by the end of the evening with any luck. I might have some access to some Grolsh Bottles too. That will help matters. Or I guess I could stop being cheap and buy some bottles. I do think I want to try some small batches (1 gal or 2.5 gal) So you guys wash bottles in the dishwasher for sanitizing? Or should I scrub each bottle.

If I bottle, I soak with oxy clean overnight, rinse then sanitize with star san.

Ok cool. I still have labels on all these bottles. They are soaking in C Brite right now. I have a quick question about OG. I used the hydrometer that came with the kit. I belive my OG reading was 1.020 @70f. Which according to the table that came with the hydrometer means its at 1.021? According to the instrutions sheet, It should be 1.051 to 1.055. Is this anything that I should be concern about?

2 weeks ago I got a low og reading because I did not mix the "top off" water into the wort very well. If you are using extract kits, and you followed the directions, you can trust the og that your kit advertises.
:mug:

Ok cool. I still have labels on all these bottles. They are soaking in C Brite right now. I have a quick question about OG. I used the hydrometer that came with the kit. I belive my OG reading was 1.020 @70f. Which according to the table that came with the hydrometer means its at 1.021? According to the instrutions sheet, It should be 1.051 to 1.055. Is this anything that I should be concern about?

Don't even bother taking an OG reading with extract; it's been said that it's near impossible to get an accurate OG reading once having topped off with water since it won't fully mix with the wort right away. Use a calculator to look up what the OG would be with the extract (and any other special grains/adjuncts used) and just use that. If you're getting the extract from any reputable producer, then the extract should match the correct degrees of plato regardless.

Ok cool. Now that I think about it, Im guessing that I didnt mix the wort up the best with water. Im not really concern with it as long as the beer tastes good and it has a good end result. Thanks for the help

The only thing thats keeping me from getting another batch of beer going is my lack of bottles. I currently have about 50. 6 are still full with SNPA and NB Belgo. I should have those finished by the end of the evening with any luck. I might have some access to some Grolsh Bottles too. That will help matters. Or I guess I could stop being cheap and buy some bottles. I do think I want to try some small batches (1 gal or 2.5 gal) So you guys wash bottles in the dishwasher for sanitizing? Or should I scrub each bottle.

If you have a small local bar, some of them will actually save bottles for you, especially if it's one you frequent. I've even went as far as offering a "deposit refund" of a quarter a bottle (about half of new bottles), when I got desperate with a batch I wanted to get bottled.

Well you have 2-4 weeks of primary fermentation before you need to bottle. I have 2 batches fermenting now that I only have enough bottles for one, but I have time to get more. Don't let this deter you from feeding your addiction :)

Bottles are one of the cheapest investments you can make in your brewing hobby. They aren't consumed like the extracts or grains and they don't wear out. Until you break them they are infinitely (in our lifespans anyway) reusable. Your biggest limitation with bottles is storage room. I only have about 300 bottles on hand now and I'm looking for places to store another 24 or 48 so I can brew another batch.

Until you break them they are infinitely (in our lifespans anyway) reusable.

Or if they get too dirty to clean out (or is worth the effort to do so). I just got back into brewing after 10 months off and I had to recycle 4 bottles the other week when I went to bottle because the mold just wouldn't come out after 3 or 4 different attempts at getting them clean. PBW might have helped, but I only picked that up about a week ago. :(

I only have about 300 bottles on hand now and I'm looking for places to store another 24 or 48 so I can brew another batch.

I've got about 3 batches worth of bottles saved, which works with my current 3 batches going. I really wish I could afford a kegging system right now, but I probably have to wait until tax return time!

and I finally have Co2 Bubbles.

co2.jpg

looks like you have everything under control, the krausen is forming and the temp strip is reading in the 60's. I think your beer will turn out good. My first batch, I had no way of controlling the temp and the beer came out pretty bad. Welcome to the obsession....

Do you think I should set up a blow off tube? Im a little worried with the amount of krausen already. I just got done cleaning 38 labels off the bottles. I have more soaking now. The Sam Winter Variety pack peeled off the best and the glue came right off too.. Oh and my pantry is starting to smell a bit hoppy

You probably don't need a blow off tube. My guess is the krausen won't get any higher. Yes, Sam Adams labels come off the easiest of all the commercial beers I drink.

Agree on the Sam Adams as well, just got through with a few myself tonight. I have to be pretty hard up for new bottles anymore to mess with other brands.

And then there was trouble. I decided to check on my batch one last time for a few days when I got home today... and this occured while I was gone.

co23.jpg

Then I ran out to HD and made this contraption

blowoff.jpg

blowoff2.jpg

There is sanitized water in the bottom and the tube is submerged in it. I also sanitized the tubing before I jammed it in the stopper. What do you think?

Wait till it calms down and put your air lock back on and then clean your hose while its still wet inside

Agree on the Sam Adams as well, just got through with a few myself tonight. I have to be pretty hard up for new bottles anymore to mess with other brands.

What did you soak the bottles in to get the labels to come off on their own like that?

Mine came off really nice when I soaked it in hot hot water and C Brite. I removed the labels under water and all the adhesive came off with it. The Sierra Nevada bottles are AWFUL! I have to scrape the glue off mine with a razor blade. Sam Adams bottles are nice though

What did you soak the bottles in to get the labels to come off on their own like that?

Yes. My process for any new bottles (pretty much the same for my reuse bottles too) - rinse bottles to get big floaties out, add PBW or Oxiclean to bottle (one scoop to about 6 bottles), fill bottles with water then place in ice chest, fill chest with Hot tap water and add about 3 gal boiling water (for me it brings it up to about 140), after about 2 hours all Sam Adams labels will be off (Knox labels are off by the time you fill it with the hot tap water) and bottles are clean - just rinse by shaking about 2inches of hot water and pour out slowly to avoid splash back into the bottle about 3 times and wallah- label free crystal clean bottles.......................

I like using the cooler because it holds the heat (unlike bathtub or sink), bottles fit better, and easier clean up.

I had been told how Oxy Clean will remove the labels and glue. I'd soak them in a bucket, but found, with the hard water, it would makes the minerals stick to the bottles on the inside requiring a soak in vinegar.

Now I fill the bottle with water and stand them up in a bucket so the interior doesn't get it inside. After a few days the glue will easily wipe off as I rinse them under the bath tub faucet.

The reason I use Oxy Clean has more to do with cleaning the bottles than removing labels. I've had bottles that were NASTY that were crystal clean after a good soak in Oxy Clean or PBW in very hot water. Have you tried using PBW instead? You still need to use hot water, but not nearly as hot as Oxy Clean to make sure you don't leave deposits.

No. But I have lots of Oxy Clean that I don't really use for anything else.
For cleaning I just use dish soap and a scrub brush. But it's mainly for the crud ring I've seen. I've thrown out plenty of bottles that were returned not well rinsed with stuff growing in it before I got my brush.

Yep, I've thrown them away because I just hated to use the brush I do have. You might give your Oxy Clean one more chance. Just make sure you keep it plenty hot (I still need to use tongs to remove the bottles from the cooler even after 2 hours or more), and rinse with hot tap water. Once they cool a bit, its much harder to rinse well enough.

Fermentation appears to be slowing down. The hiccups from the blow off are a lot less frequent. At what point in time do I transfer over to my secondary? After it completely stops burping.? It'll be 7 days tomorrow.

Give it at least another week. I do at least two weeks in primary then transfer to age or clarify.

So it should be fine sitting in a secondary with no CO2 keeping it from oxidizing? Im tempted to bottle on Sunday which would be 2 weeks. I have a India Black Ale that I brewed on Sunday thats sitting in another primary.

Back