Wyeast 3068 ferm. Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenhaze

Reaction score
Hi all
I have read a lot here about 3068 being a beast in primary fermentation. I have a honey weizen now five days in primary using 3068. I didn't make a starter, my target OG was 1.052/1.056. My Og came in at 1.054. I pitched the yeast about 3 degrees above the max temp as per Wyeast which was last Sunday
I have my swamp cooler water at 60 degrees since Monday. It's being fermenting away nice 2 inch head of krausen, lots of gurgling from my blow off tube.
Do you think I should raise the temp of my swamp cooler water a couple of degrees or let it ferment at the lower end of the scale assuming the internal temp of the Carboy is 5/7 degrees hotter.
Sorry for the ramble, just trying to make good beer. This is my second extract brew.
Slainte

Hi all
I have read a lot here about 3068 being a beast in primary fermentation. I have a honey weizen now five days in primary using 3068. I didn't make a starter, my target OG was 1.052/1.056. My Og came in at 1.054. I pitched the yeast about 3 degrees above the max temp as per Wyeast which was last Sunday
I have my swamp cooler water at 60 degrees since Monday. It's being fermenting away nice 2 inch head of krausen, lots of gurgling from my blow off tube.
Do you think I should raise the temp of my swamp cooler water a couple of degrees or let it ferment at the lower end of the scale assuming the internal temp of the Carboy is 5/7 degrees hotter.
Sorry for the ramble, just trying to make good beer. This is my second extract brew.
Slainte

I made a hefe with 3068 that fermented at 70F. Nice banana flavors, not a whole lot of clove. But I think the banana just steamrolls the clove. It's a nice beer and I like it. Mostly just wheat DME.

I fermented at ambient temps just having the carboy in a bigazz tube of water to moderate its temperature.

Just keep the temp consistent whatever you pick. You'll get a fine beer I'm sure. Take good notes. If your beer is crapola then do something different next time. Just an FYI about this yeast, if you haven't already noticed the sulfury smell you soon will. Let that clear before you bottle or you'll have bottled turds.

It's just beer. You'll be fine.

So that's what the smell was the other day when I opened the closet, it smelled bad !
Slainte

So that's what the smell was the other day when I opened the closet, it smelled bad !
Slainte

I thought the sewer had backed up in my house and a band of vagrants was using my crawl space as a latrine. It was pretty gamey for a while. Needless to say this caused some marital strife. Hard as it is to believe, wives don't like the house to smell like a sewage treatment plant.

I was like, "Baby, marriage is about compromise. We need to come to terms about this. By we, I mean you, and by compromise, I mean that you just realize that it's all in the name of my beer."

Well that's what I thought in my head. What I really said was, "Oh, I didn't notice anything. Maybe the compost bin is just a little ripe."

highgravitybacon said:
I thought the sewer had backed up in my house and a band of vagrants was using my crawl space as a latrine. It was pretty gamey for a while. Needless to say this caused some marital strife. Hard as it is to believe, wives don't like the house to smell like a sewage treatment plant.

I was like, "Baby, marriage is about compromise. We need to come to terms about this. By we, I mean you, and by compromise, I mean that you just realize that it's all in the name of my beer."

Well that's what I thought in my head. What I really said was, "Oh, I didn't notice anything. Maybe the compost bin is just a little ripe."

LMAO
Slainte

My Hefe is passed the three week mark now but I pitched in a temp around 72. Took it into my basement and it stayed in the 65-69 range and was giving off some wicked banana/clove flavors. Next to my cider, when u walked in the garage it smelled like a smoothie shop.

Ive read the lower the ferment temp, the more pronounced the banana/clove, the higher the temp the more distinct bubble gum esters so i'd have to say its prob what u prefer as far as the taste of the brew.

My Hefe is passed the three week mark now but I pitched in a temp around 72. Took it into my basement and it stayed in the 65-69 range and was giving off some wicked banana/clove flavors. Next to my cider, when u walked in the garage it smelled like a smoothie shop.

Ive read the lower the ferment temp, the more pronounced the banana/clove, the higher the temp the more distinct bubble gum esters so i'd have to say its prob what u prefer as far as the taste of th brew.

I sent wyeast and email asking about how to maximize the banana. I like a proper Banana Bomb hefe. They suggest that temp wasn't quite as important as pitch rate. For more banananany flavors, pitch at 6 million yeasts / ml of wort. Sierra Nevada's Kellerweiss has a very nice clovey flavor. I would love to know their yeast and recipe. They say open fermentation is a part of this. I've heard other people suggest this too.

I sent wyeast and email asking about how to maximize the banana. I like a proper Banana Bomb hefe. They suggest that temp wasn't quite as important as pitch rate. For more banananany flavors, pitch at 6 million yeasts / ml of wort. Sierra Nevada's Kellerweiss has a very nice clovey flavor. I would love to know their yeast and recipe. They say open fermentation is a part of this. I've heard other people suggest this too.

That's just shy of 120 billion active cells. I can't get on MrMalty from my iPad but I think I'll def try this with my next hefe.

Back