A Very Strange Gose Recipe - "New Ocean Waves"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylja06

Reaction score
I was tasked by the head of one of the band's supporting me to make a really weird beer that included sea salt and HEAVY molasses. Here's what I came up with, a bit of a heavy gose:

Malt
3.3lbs Golden Light LME
6.6lbs Wheat LME
2lbs Acidulated Malt
1lb Molasses

Hops
1oz Palisade

Boil Schedule
1oz Palisade @ 60
8oz Molasses @ 30
1tab Whirfloc @ 15
2oz Seasalt @ 15
8oz Molasses @ 10

Yeast
2 vials of Kolsch or German Ale
1 vial Lactobacillus

Well I was asked to, as for why, and the molasses was his suggestion. I was considering cutting down to 8oz and halving the additions; think that'd be better?

All I know is I made an imperial stout with 8oz of black strap in it, and even with that much, the molasses is by far the most overpowering aspect of the beer even after 3 years.

weirdboy said:
All I know is I made an imperial stout with 8oz of black strap in it, and even with that much, the molasses is by far the most overpowering aspect of the beer even after 3 years.

That's because black strap molasses is gross! Use regular unsulfered molasses. 8 oz of that stuff is just fine.

Yeah, I bought Brer Rabbit molasses in a 12oz jar thinking I'd split it between pours. But 8oz seems to be the ruling.

so 1oz sea salt, 8oz molasses. Sounds fair enough. Do the boil times make sense for the molasses or should it be an actual secondary fermentation?

They boil the crap out of cane juice to get molasses, so additional boiling won't make a difference. I would just add it at flameout to make sure it dissolves properly.

Back