Wyeast Smack Down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toadyus

Reaction score
Is there really a way to tell if you layed the smack down on your wyeast. I watched the video and heard a crack. But I've used a hammer and my knees, repeated punching and the was no cracking. so I dunno if it's been "smacked" enough or it needs round 2?...is there actually a capsule inside? or what am I feeling for when it says check to make sure the nutrient package has been broken?? Any ideas would be great

It's been over an hour and it has grown at all..But I have been smacking it though trying to see if it has been activated tho...I've left it alone now too see what happens....

hmm, hissing would indicate gas escaping, which means the outside pouch is ruptured.
if that's the case, no that's not good because the yeast inside could become contaminated.
that would explain why its not expanding either.

look the outside pouch over really really good.

as to what's inside...basically its like a little cellophane baggie with yeast in it. you have to pop that so the yeast can get into the wort in the main pouch. it eats that and causes the pouch to bloat due to CO2 production.

I find it easiest to get the bag in one of the top corners. and smack with the bottom of my fist on the counter a few times. you can feel when it breaks and can squeeze it into the pouch at that point.

good luck

sorry not hissing but a fizzing sound...when I push on the bag it doesn't budge now...so I doubt there is a hole in the bag

toadyus said:
sorry not hissing but a fizzing sound...when I push on the bag it doesn't budge now...so I doubt there is a hole in the bag

Then that would be the faint sound of your yeast burning through the nutrient in the little inner cell you popped. You're fine. If in serious doubt, submerge the package in water and look for bubbles. Even if you have a pinhole leak you're probably still fine if you pitch the yeast in a reasonable amount of time.

Some things to note:

A) You can pitch a Wyeast Activator (125ml) pack without smacking it. The yeast is in the main pouch. The inner packet is yeast nutrient that wakes the little buggers up and gets them raring to go -- good, but not strictly necessary.

B) Before smacking, feel for the inner cell. It feels about the size of a business card and is slightly thicker and more resistant than the outer foil pack. You can feel it slide around inside. Move it to one corner just to keep track of it and pop it with a firm blow from the heel of your hand. You'll notice its absence afterward.

C) Just feeling around for the nutrient pack will probably do it, but you should also agitate and squeeze the whole pack to distribute the nutrient so the yeasties can get at it.

D) It generally takes an hour or more to see definite swelling. You'll definitely notice it after two. After four hours you'll worry that the whole thing is going to blow, spewing yeast slurry all over your kitchen. This is at US room temperatures of approximately 70F.

E) When you are ready to pitch, dunk the packet in your sanitizing solution (you do have a bucket of it for all your post-boil sanitation needs, don't you?) just to be safe. Cut or tear one corner. That gives you a smaller, more controllable opening to pour from and the spent nutrient packet doesn't end up in your wort. Yes, this happened. Twice.

Hope this helps,
Chad

yep...It finally ballooned when I shook it up.... So I'm very happy...Time to start my next brew with this stuff....and yes I have my sanitation bucket ready to go...thank you all for your replies....time to make some beer.

toadyus said:

That's how I was able to tell that I finally ruptured that little sac inside...the fizzing.

Back