Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a three month old lambic that has small white spots randomly on the top. There isnt much of a "pellical" but there are some bacteria "bubbles".
I am afraid of mold, I have no reason to believe I did anything incorrectly. Yeast was roeselare kept around 70 ambient.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

@jmich24: that looks more or less exactly like my Lambic that has been going since the beginning of april, and I pitched wyeast lambic blend.

Thanks guys. I assumed everything was fine, now my mind can be at ease for the next 18-24 months. BTW it smells great!

Does a pellicle form in the presence of O2? I racked a berlinerweisse atop a Brett B Trois cake and it hasn't begun krausen. But a pellicle is starting to form and there is no pressure in the airlock.

sddanc said:
Does a pellicle form in the presence of O2? I racked a berlinerweisse atop a Brett B Trois cake and it hasn't begun krausen. But a pellicle is starting to form and there is no pressure in the airlock.

Pellicles form in the presence of O2, correct. But they take quite some time to form - they are certainly not even on the same timescale as krausen, so I'm not sure why you think you're seeing the former.

The reason I called it a pellicle is because its characteristics are similar to my previous one which formed after about 2 days past pitching the fresh vial. It did develop overtime however

Here is the young pellicle on my 2 month old Supplication clone. Looking good, I just wish the better bottle didn't get so dirty so I can see into the bottle better. Oh well, enjoy the picture. For those that would like to know this was inffected using WLP655 Belgian Sour Mix 1 which contains Brettanomyces, Saccharomyces, and the bacterial strains Lactobacillus and Pediococcus. I am not sure which strains they use. The beer has also recieved the dregs of 3 Russian River Supplication bottles. Also, this is my first Sour attempt, so wish me luck.

IMG_20120701_184356.jpg

bzDS9h.jpg

Sour blonde, later broken up and aged on different berries

LkTmSs.jpg

American wheat ale soured with orange peel and coriander added

SD8S5h.jpg

Sour quad with cherries, no real "bug" activity because this was recently transferred

This is some weird snot like substance forming on top of my secondary that started appearing the day after adding oak chips. I had initially soaked the oak chips in 37% alcohol rum for only 20 minutes. In hindsight that definitely wasn't long enough, next time ill be steaming them. The brew smells great still and is tasting very good so far. No vinegar, sourness, weird smells. Does anyone have an idea what it might be? Is this normal for oak? seepage from the oak itself? The alcohol content of the beer is around 5.4%.

The brew is an oak aged pale ale using london ale yeast.

Also when disturbing the snot like piece rather than act like goo as i thought it would, it just broke apart/dissolved into the surrounding mixture quite easily.

oak chips and snot.jpg

close up snot.jpg

I really enjoy this thread! I love to see this result this look really great I will share some photo and I will let you know if I get a good result with mine!

tuna84 said:
This is some weird snot like substance forming on top of my secondary that started appearing the day after adding oak chips. I had initially soaked the oak chips in 37% alcohol rum for only 20 minutes. In hindsight that definitely wasn't long enough, next time ill be steaming them. The brew smells great still and is tasting very good so far. No vinegar, sourness, weird smells. Does anyone have an idea what it might be? Is this normal for oak? seepage from the oak itself? The alcohol content of the beer is around 5.4%.

The brew is an oak aged pale ale using london ale yeast.

Also when disturbing the snot like piece rather than act like goo as i thought it would, it just broke apart/dissolved into the surrounding mixture quite easily.

Don't worry about it. Beer gets sicks twice before being good according to vinnies ppt. I think the long stringy things are a result from lacto or pedio. My sour brewing book is at home or I would look it up.

tuna84 - doubtful it is pedio so quickly, but can't know for sure. I'm not sure what it could be. I'm assuming with chips you are doing a quick extraction. So if you are concerned with it going sour or funky, then as soon as you are done with your extraction rack from underneath and get the beer cold and drank.

milldoggy said:
Don't worry about it. Beer gets sicks twice before being good according to vinnies ppt. I think the long stringy things are a result from lacto or pedio. My sour brewing book is at home or I would look it up.

Pedio makes the stringy stuff. Brett will help clear it back up. They play well together.

Finally I can add. All Brett L ferment. 1 month in ready to bottle soon! Nice cherry notes and slight funk. Re pitch is in order for sure!

ForumRunner_20120703_180646.jpg

iowabrew said:
Finally I can add. All Brett L ferment. 1 month in ready to bottle soon! Nice cherry notes and slight funk. Re pitch is in order for sure!

Wyeast or White Labs? Looks tasty

Thanks for the replies. I sterilized a spoon and quickly scooped the goo bit to taste, it dissolved almost instantly but I still managed to get a sample. Tastes completely normal, very oaky/bitter actually....perhaps the yeast has metabolised some of the oak compounds and this is the result.... I gave the secondary a slow swirl to get the oak chips mixing a little anyway, the goo/weird looking bits all cleared up. Not sure what that means but at least the goo doesnt taste like poo.

I have been wanting to post in this thread for a long time, and now I can. I've got my first sour sitting in secondary, and I gotta say...I'm excited. Don't know if I can wait for it.

The grain bill is similar to an oud bruin, with a couple of tweaks. I pitched a pack of Wyeast trappist HG, an old pack of Roselare blend, and dregs from a bottle of JP La Roja and RR Supplication. Transferred to secondary, added toasted oak cubes that had been boiled and soaked in port for about a month, as well as dregs from a bottle of Hanssens Oude Gueuze.

Currently sitting at 70 degrees, happy as a clam:

sour1.jpg

sour2.jpg

One month old today wild brown ale. Would like to transfer it to glass and let it sit, but don't want to anger whatever bugs are in there making it taste so good so I think I'll just let it be for now. Also considered adding oak chips and maybe some cherries, but not sure if I want to do that to this batch or not...

IMAG1518.jpg

Sour Blonde, brewed May 23rd, pitch US-04, on May 29th I racked to secondary and added a packet of Roselare. This is what it looks like now.
548908_10101668104167808_988471604_n.jpg

It's so beautiful. Now I just have to wait for another 10-14 months before it's ready.

I had a beer look like that on my front porch after the temp went into the 90s. It was a porter pitched with 100% Brett L. From white labs, smelled lke vinegar lol. Oops.

Not saying but just saying.

Berliner that took an interesting turn:
three-rest mash and mash-out, no boil, with extra pils two days in kitchen ~80F, ala Piatz...this is after 2 months, unusual 'iceberg' formations, and still Laco-vomitus smell...we'll see!

DSC00117.jpg

DSC00116.jpg

Back