Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsonbrew

Reaction score
I bought a recipe on line. I really am trying to support my LHBS but my schedule does not allow me to get down there very often. I decided to try Northern Brewer and used a recipe that I have tried before to compare prices. I ordered everything the same except that the recipe called for 6 oz of CL 20 and they only sell it by the pound, where my LHBS sold me 6 oz, and I doubled the hops (I am trying to make this IPA very hoppy). I forgot to order the yeast packet but the total cost was about 7 dollars cheaper than my LHBS. Bottome line I am not saving money really just the fact that I didnt have to run down there.

My question is, the LME they sold me was a 3.15 lb bottle and the recipe calls for 3.3 lbs. I know its not much but can I just use more grains to extract more sugars to make up the difference, and would half a pound of grains more than do it, or would I even really notice a difference?

Are you mashing or just using specialty grains for steeping? As I understand it, steeped specialty grains apply very little, if anything, towards the gravity. They're more just coloring and flavoring.

As lumpher said, though, you're not far off with the LME so I wouldn't even think twice about it.

don't even worry about it. in a 5g batch, it MIGHT make a .2 abv difference

+1

It's such a small amount that it may go unnoticed. Depending on the style you can use a small amount of some other fermentable (brown sugar, honey, fruit, etc.) To bump the ABV a little and add some flavor.

Good luck and RDWHAHB.

If it is a partial mash you can add .25 lbs of base malt, if it if an extract with steeping grains, I am guessing there is more than just the one bottle. Either another 3lbs of LME or DME and in that case it is too small of an amoun to worry about. it will be fine.

Back