roggenbier triple decoction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabeemech1970

Reaction score
Doing my first roggenbier using a triple docoction mash. Anyone have any advice. Like after I pull my decoction how long I should let it pull before I put back in the mash tun

I've started to infuse the lower rests because I can't decoct them fast enough. Here is the mash schedule I used on my last weiss biers. I useed Briess red wheat. The mashes had high DP and didn't need long to convert.

• Mash in 1.32 qt/lb with 120F liquor, rest at 113 for 20 minutes
  • Infuse to 122 for 10 minutes
  • infuse to 145 for 30 minutes---at 10 minutes in to this rest I pulled all the thick mash and slowly brought it to a boil, boiled 10 minutes
  • Added most of the decotion to get the mash to 158 (I added the rest of it after it had cooled to 158,) rested 20 minutes. Iodine tested for conversion.
  • Pulled the thin mash, boiled 20 minutes, added back to mash out, rest 10 minutes, drained
  • Single 14 qt sparge.

Just my roggenbier in the fermentor my OG was 1.060. Wow triple decoction takes a long time I think it was worth it though.

well woke up this morning to find that my roggenbier had overflowed out of the airlock. although it was just a little bit maybe 2 ounces at most. i am concerned something is wrong though. before the airlock was bubbling at at rate of every3-5 seconds now im lucky if its every 30 seconds. does this mean i have a stuck fermentation or is it done after 3 days. what should i do now

RDWAHAHB. Check on the gravity after 4-5 days to see if you are fermenting. The absence of airlock activity doesn't necessarily indicate fermentation problems. If you are having problems though, you could pitch something like S-04 to try and restart fermentation (assuming that everything you did before hand is up to par).

Checked my roggenbier last nite since hasn't had any activity for about 4 days. The measurement came out to 1.018. So I transferred to secondary. All I gotta say is wow. It stated at 1.060 a week ago. So I think I'm going to leave it in the secondary for like 2 weeks then bottle it. What everyone's opinion of that.

I usually leave it in primary for about a week after it's done to let the yeast clean up after themselves. I don't secondary, though. I just crash cool and keg.

Back