Short secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAg

Reaction score
So, I am making an easy pale ale with saaz hops.

After 6 days in the primary, I racked and found over an inch of yeast on the bottom. The beer fermented at 70 degrees from and OG of 1.042 to a FG of1.004. It is pretty darn clear already, clearer than my blond was after a week in the secondary and two in the bottle.

Two days later, and absolutely no additional settlement on the bottom of the carboy.

Would it be a sin to rack it to the keg after only a couple of days in the secondary?

I'm out of homebrew, and ready for something to drink!

If it's clear, and you are satisfied with the way it looks. Go for it.

Clear is clear. Keg it. It will still be a bit green, but the gravity is low enough it should be ok by the time it carbs.

BeerAg said:
I'm out of homebrew, and ready for something to drink!

thats your problem right there - keep enough on hand in storage that you don't run out!

its a lot easier to be patient when you've got 20-30 gallons sitting there waiting for you to drink it

but thats not here or there - I agree with the other guys

go ahead and keg it so you can start you another batch asap

Mutilated1 said:
thats your problem right there - keep enough on hand in storage that you don't run out!

its a lot easier to be patient when you've got 20-30 gallons sitting there waiting for you to drink it

I keep telling SWMBO that I should brew every weekend for a few months so we'll have a couple (or 6) cases stashed in the closet. Luckily she's all for it, but I keep giving my beer away!

Oh well, just gotta keep at it.

Just because you're out of HB and this batch is clear doesn't mean it isn't green.

Sure, it's done fermenting, but...apparently you're one to rush things.

IMO another 3-4 weeks inthe bottle then it'll be ready to drink. :D

It's definately still a little green, I can tell even though it is still flat.

I'm sure I will be able to start taking my time as soon. After today's session, I will have 10 gallons in the keg/bottle and 10 gallons in the fermenters. One batch is another batch of pale ale that should be ready to drink in about 5 weeks, what I have on hand should keep me busy until way later than that:D .

Latest posts

Back