NB Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butter

Reaction score
Brewing this one as I type. Anyone brew this and have any tips/ pointers on when to add the extract? Recipe has 1lb dry and 3lbs liquid. I was thinking adding dry at beginning of boil and the liquid at last 15 min or flameout. Should I use whirlfloc at the last 15 min of boil in a weizen? This is my first wheat beer so don't know if whirlfloc or Irish moss would hurt or help it.

Brewed this a while ago and added the LME last 15 minutes. Did not add any whirlfoc as wanted it to be cloudy. It turned out really good.
Mike

hi butter,

well, i'm an all-grain brewer, but i can't imagine at all that there could be any difference in flavor when adding one of the malt extract compounds later than the other. extract is extract, no matter if it is a powder or a syrup.

but there is a difference concerning the hop additions. you can even add a part of the hops before the boil (at 78 °C / 172 °F). in this case the hops leaves more very fine flavors in the beer. But as hefeweizen has only approx. 10 to 15 IBU, you can't really taste the hops anyway. the flavor is only determined by the malt (extract - light or dark), the yeast and the CO2 content.

Regarding clearing agents like irish moss i recommend to not use them, for you want a real hefeweizen to be (heavily) cloudy. here in germany - not everybody but many people - move their bottle of hefeweizen to get the yeast off of the ground. (By the way, the cloudiness doen't only result from the yeast but also from the protein.(

hopefully, my coment helps you a little bit.

good luck with the hefeweizen. :mug:

let me have a rating of your beer when it's ready.

best regards, grain-pa

You should have 6 lbs of LME according to NB. Yes, I would just use a pound or 2 of extract for the boil. I add the bulk at flame out. I don't use whirlfloc or moss on extract brews since I don't separate the break material before going to the fermenter.

Awesome. Thanks grain-pa! Was stationed in Germany so I definitely remember how to drink one lol. I'm still boiling, added the dme at 30 min in, and am adding the lme at the last 15 min of boil. Was just worried about darkening the beer, even though I'm doing a full 5 gal boil. Thanks for the replies!!

You're right PT ray, 6lbs. Can't wait to drink this one lol. We might even do a Caribou Slobber kit today too. Gotta build that pipeline!

Hey gang,

I have brewed 6 batches of Hef so far and each one gets better and better.

Minimal LME at boil, 1-2 lbs max, balance at flameout. I cut my Hops in half and steep my grains for 20 mins instead of 10 as the recipe calls for. Leave in the ferment for a week past FG. Ferment with wort 65-68

It should be great, have fun

Rick

Hops at beginning of boil, about a pound of lme at same time, dme at 30 min, remainder of extract at 15 min left. Pitched yeast at 66*. Nice light amber color. Should be good, will keep you guys posted. Thanks for the help.

Back