$30 fireproof HLT stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmcl

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Figuring out a cheap, easy to store yet flame-resistant gravity system for 10g batches ain't easy. After considering pumps, stands, etc. here's what I came up with. The BK burner sits on cinder blocks, this puts the outlet valve just above the 5g mark on a carboy. The MLT sits on a sawhorse. That left the HLT. I wanted something flame-resistant, cheap, easy to store and relatively easy to disassemble as I sometimes brew off site.

My burner (Bayou SP10) had legs that were pretty narrow- enough to fit inside metal fence posts. All I did was drill through the fence posts and the burner legs, slid the posts on the legs and bolted in place. I tested it with 100# of weight and it's solid. Cheap and easy!

IMAG0014.jpg

DUDE! thats a really good idea! I just about finished building a HLT but havent used it on my last three brews because I havent figured out a brew stand yet... I need to see if my other burner will work this way! Thanks

if he put 100 lbs on top im sure a keggle filled with water wouldn't make a difference, looks like the legs are wide enough and sturdy enough.

-=Jason=-

It would definitely hold a keggle. I was debating using some steel springs and hooks to attach the kettle to the burner- I'd advise doing this for a keggle- that's a lot of top heavy weight up there. You might also consider adding 2X4 braces around the bottom, possibly with a bag of sand on the base. I used one bolt per leg, you could add another one on each leg and that would really shore up any play.

I brewed 10g on this yesterday, worked flawlessly.

It would definitely hold a keggle. I was debating using some steel springs and hooks to attach the kettle to the burner- I'd advise doing this for a keggle- that's a lot of top heavy weight up there. You might also consider adding 2X4 braces around the bottom, possibly with a bag of sand on the base. I used one bolt per leg, you could add another one on each leg and that would really shore up any play.

I brewed 10g on this yesterday, worked flawlessly.

At first glance a bottom brace seems like a good idea. It looks like if kicked from the inside a leg could bend out. Even just some wire connecting the legs could prevent that possible failure.

But it's a good 'n' simple build, I may make my cheapo frier into one of those if and when I find the need.

even though it will support the weight, i would still make some sort of brace for the bottom, simply because im paranoid like that. a cheap wooden triangle that the bottom of the legs fit into, or a wire between them so they cant separate, would be all that you need. looks good though!

I am thinking of my camping tripod. use some chain to connect the legs so they don't separate, quick and easy and fireproof.

I took your idea mattmcl, a little different but pretty much the same idea:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLkyMOen4L0]Weldless Hot Liquor Tank Stand - YouTube[/ame]

Nice!

I found I didn't need braces at all. The legs will not splay out- the burner's legs fit inside deep enough to prevent it. A different burner might need them though.

Back