Thames Valley II 1882-PC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There was a thread a while back, WLP026 is ugly. Well, I brewed with Thames Valley II this past weekend and it reminded of that thread. Not as ugly as the 026, but the same basic look. So, my brain has me wondering if I just have too much break material floating around in there, or if it’s a characteristic of the yeast. Anyone else notice this with the 1882-PC?

When I've made a starter with it, it clumps up on the bottom of the flask pretty firmly when I turn the stir bar off. Then when I swirl it around before pitching it breaks up into huge chunks that don't like being poured out and hang onto the side of the flask tenaciously.

Thought about posting this at the end of your Brown Mild thread, but didn't want to hi-jack. I didn't make a starter. Direct pitched it into a 1.030 gravity 2-1/2 gallon batch of Partigyled Mild on Sunday. It was moving right along the next morning, but it's pretty well done already. Should be able to get this one to the glass pretty quick.

How'd yours go after you pitched the starter?

Both times I've pitched it from a starter it takes right off. I think my mild was pretty much done after about 36 hours. I've only tasted a gravity sample but it tasted great, much better than the extremely low OG would have led me to believe. When I pitched into the RIS it was bubbling the airlock within a couple of hours. I was an idiot and thought because I only had about 4.5 gallons in the 6 gallon better bottle that I didn't need a blow off tube. I even woke up at 3 am to check on it and even though there was a big krauzen, it wasn't near the top. Well, the next morning there was RIS all over the walls, floor and ceiling. The good news is that it smells great. The fruitiness this yeast gives off is very pleasing and my fermenting RIS smells like young's double chocolate stout times 10. I've actually decided to do a chocolate stout with this yeast now after smelling that.

"I've actually decided to do a chocolate stout with this yeast now after smelling that."

I purchased a pack of this yeast a week or so ago and I was wondering what to brew with it. You just solved my problem. Thanks! Montanaandy

Planning a 1850 Whitbread London Porter with it. really excited about trying it. ordering ingredients Friday. I've really liked the Thames 1... sounds like it's going to be a great strain in a classic porter.

Back