Wire Rope!?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortSnoutBrewing

Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
Reaction score
So I finally got around to putting up my pole today to start getting my hops trained and growing up. I swear I saw somewhere that someone used wire rope for their lines but can't find that anywhere. Is wire rope ok, or should I go back and get some sisal or similar?

Hop bines rely on traction hooks, so I don't think wire is a good idea. Coir twine is incredibly rough and that's why the pros use it. It is actually a two-strand rope, as single strand twine tends to unravel.

Natural fibre ropes are used in production because they dont damage harvesting machines that cut the whole bine down and most importantly are cost effective, after hop combing the rope is composted with the rest of the spent bine.

For a home grower who is hand picking , any material that the bines will stick to can be used. Not sure if they stick to wire rope , but as they coil I don't see why not.

Nylon rope would be best IMHO if you only have a few plants, can be reused over and over.

I use either 1/4 manila or sisal rope as the most cost effective for my 130 plus plants, My Maypoles need 50ft per plant and back line around 42ft

Wire rope is metal cable and is not suited to supporting the bines themselves. I used galvanized aircraft cable for making a ridge line between two large poles, and then I ran 3 strand manila (banana leaf fiber) rope to the cable in, V's, from the bine.

Latest posts

Back