bourbon oak stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellout49

Reaction score
So, Im really tempted to make a bourbon oak stout, with bourbon soaked oak chips. Im worried about investing the money because i rarely have the disposable income to do it. Is it worth doing with an extract recipe? I saw one with 12 lbs of dry dark malt, which sounds like a lot but I have never ventured into brewing with oak chips and was wondering if anyone has with any success.

Thanks

I have a recipie for a Bourbon Porter I am going to be trying in the next couple of weeks. I figure it can not turn out bad as it is a Porter and I will be adding Makers Mark to it and a couple oak cubes. I think it sounds tasty. I would try it and see what happens.

I'll be kegging my Oak Aged Bourbon Porter in just a few minutes. Beers like these will need to age a bit due to the high ABV and, just in case, too much oak. This is my second batch and I'm already planning on my third.

are you guys using any recipe kits or building it yourself? I'd LOVE to do an oak bourbon batch.

I did up a stout recipe back in Nov that's been in the bottles for about a month.

Here's the Recipe
hopville . "Oaked Imperial Stout" Russian Imperial Stout Recipe

I opened the first one last weekend, and initially, I'd say that I used maybe too much roasted grains. Has a heavy roast/coffee flavor. I would probably cust back on the roasted barley and chocolate malt. Though, it smelled awesome while brewing. :)

Anyways, the night of, I took an oz of oak chips and put them into a tupperware container with like 4-6 oz of Makers Mark. I then set that in the fridge for the whole time that the stout was in primary. When I moved it to the secondary, I threw in the oak chips and bourbon mix.

That sat for a couple weeks, and then off to bottles. Along with the priming sugar, I added another 4-6 oz of bourbon to give it a stronger flavor because the initial sample didn't have quite the burbon flavor I wanted. The oak came out though.

I think giving this another couple months and it's going to be really tasty.

Ok, I found this searching for an oaked RIS. Looking at the recipe my question is about the grains. The directions list only some of the grains for steeping but doesn't specify the use of the others. From my limited experience you don't steep six-row or flaked oats. Am I wrong or is this a partial mash recipe?

hopville . "Oaked Imperial Stout" Russian Imperial Stout Recipe

malt and fermentables

A possible addition would be 4 oz of unsweetened bakers chocolate, broken up to the boil. Steep the black and chocolate malts and the roasted barley in 5.5 gallons of cold water. Gradually raise heat to 154 F, hold 30 minutes. Remove grains and rinse them back into the pot with hot water. Stir in dry malt and baker's chocolate (if used), bring to boil. At first boil, add the first addition of Magnum Hops. Boil 30 minutes, add the rest of the Magnum hops along with the Cascades and Horizon addition. Boil another 15 minutes, add the final Cascades and Horizon hops, along with the lactose, yeast nutrients and irish moss. Finish boiling for 15 mins, then remove from heat, cool 15 minutes. Add to fermenter. Cool to 70 F, pitch yeast. Seal and ferment for ten days+, rack to secondary and age in a cool dark place for a month. Prime with dry malt and bottle. Bottle condition cool and dark for a month or more.

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable
39% 6 0 Dark Dry Malt Extract
39% 6 0 Dark Malt Extract Syrup
6% 1 0 Chocolate Malt
4% 0 9 Roasted Barley
3% 0 8 American Crystal 60L
3% 0 8 American Six-row Pale
3% 0 8 Pilsner Malt
2% 0 4 American Black Roast
2% 0 4 Flaked Oats

Batch size: 5.5 gallons

Original Gravity
1.104 (1.093 to 1.108)
Final Gravity
1.026 (1.023 to 1.028)
Color
49° SRM (Black)
Mash Efficiency 70%

hops
use time oz variety form aa
Boil 60 mins 1.5 Magnum pellet 13.7
Boil 30 mins 0.5 Magnum pellet 13.7
Boil 30 mins 0.5 Horizon pellet 12.3
Boil 30 mins 1.0 Cascade pellet 6.6
Boil 10 mins 1.0 Cascade pellet 6.6
Boil 10 mins 0.5 Horizon pellet 12.5

Boil: 5.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes

Bitterness
20.5 HBU
83.6 IBU
ƒ: Average
BU:GU

yeast
Wyeast American Ale (1056)
ale yeast in liquid form with low to medium flocculation

Alcohol
10.4% A.B.V.
8.0% A.B.W.
Calories
342 per 12 oz.

misc
use time amount ingredient
boil 10 min 0.25 ounces Wyeast Nutrient
boil 10 min 0.25 ounces Irish Moss
boil 10 min 8 ounces Lactose
secondary 14 days 1 ounces Oak Chips
secondary 14 days 3.0 liquid Bourbon

-johnnyc,

Wyeast says american ale 1056 has a tolerance of 10%. You don't think 10.4% is kind of pushing the yeast's limits a bit? I would be worried it would have trouble carbonating if the yeast are too stressed from the alcohol.

I've got a ten gallon batch of an Imperial Stout going now. I did a partial mash for it and used 4 oz cacoa nibs in the boil. I think I am going to go into two five gallon secondaries soon and try bourbon oaking one as well. How long are you guys letting the oak chips sit in bourbon? I think I'm going to leave the lactose out of this one, I really want it to be kind of dry and bitter, lacking residual sweetness.

I am going to be doing the Oaked Bourbon Porter Extract kit from NorthernBrewer next, to have it in time for Christmas.
I cant decide if I will use Makers Mark or Knob Creek. Either way, I have high hopes for this one

I am going to be doing the Oaked Bourbon Porter Extract kit from NorthernBrewer next, to have it in time for Christmas.
I cant decide if I will use Makers Mark or Knob Creek. Either way, I have high hopes for this one

I'd go with Elijiah Craig burbon myself. Less expensive and I believe it is a better bourbon, but it definitely has more bold of an oak flavor than MM.

George Dickel 12yr is another one in the same price range, as EC. From your two choice though I would go with Knob Creek.

BoB

I am bottling my oaked imperial stout right now... definately oak a stout! I am fighting intense urges to drink it all now room temp and un-carbed. delicious

I am in the process of aging my imperial stout from Midwest, directions here: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/imperial-stout-kit.html, and just racked into secondary. I had two ounces of oak chips in MM bourbon for two weeks. I dumped everything in when I racked. Question is, can I leave the oak chips in the secondary for the six months that I plan on aging or do I need to rack again in a week or two off the chips so the taste isn't overbearing? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back