rut row...I think I may have done something wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wstein

Reaction score
I decided to do a 2 stage fementation on my first brew. So I went and got myself a carboy to do my secondary fermentation in. Yesterday was one week in the primary, so I racked my beer over to my secondary. I siphoned it out of the primary into the secondary and everything with ok, I did manage to suck up some of the trub and what I am assuming to be some chunks of yeast and foam from when it was active. These chunks look like corn flaks almost and are kinda a whitish/yellowish/greenish color floating on the surface of the brew.

This morning I checked on it to see if it was still ok, and to change out the water bottles and it looks like I might have some bateria growing now. There is a grouping of white colored pin head sized spots on the surface of the wort.:( I did rinse and santize the carboy, the siphon, and the hose I used, using one-step.

So did I manage to screw up and get some nasties in my brew and if so, what is my next move?

those are just teeny tiny bubbles. Give it a few days and a very close look and you see that all is OK.

EVERYBODY who uses a secondary for the first time thinks they have an infection because of those bubbles, so you are right on par. :)

Walker-san said:
those are just teeny tiny bubbles. Give it a few days and a very close look and you see that all is OK.

EVERYBODY who uses a secondary for the first time thinks they have an infection because of those bubbles, so you are right on par. :)

I hope you are right. It just worries me that the grouping of spots/bubbles is no bigger then a quarter and close to the side of the carboy.

wstein said:
I hope you are right. It just worries me that the grouping of spots/bubbles is no bigger then a quarter and close to the side of the carboy.

Sounds familiar. :)

I always get little clusters of bubbles that are about dime-sized. Some are in the middle of the carboy, but most are along the edges.

-walker

I have some in my secondary right now as a matter of fact. I wouldnt worry about it. Have a homebrew.

I did the exact same thing my first brew with a secondary, RDWHAB (or something good from the store as this is your first batch!)

You're all good, technically you are "safer" in your secondary than your primary since you already have some alcohol to help combat any bacteria. The wort in your primary is like disneyland for infections. Don't get dicouraged.. In 8 years I have yet to have a brew I couldn't drink (I did have some that I wouldn't serve to other people though).

3rd and Long said:
Don't get dicouraged.. In 8 years I have yet to have a brew I couldn't drink (I did have some that I wouldn't serve to other people though).

You know I have a feeling I am going to run into some of those with my brews.

I find it funny that all of us homebrewers, either novice or expert or in between, worry so much our first few sessions of brewing. That's why I've grown to live by the mantra: "Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew."

There have been quite a few times for me that I've had to verbally tell myself "You're worrying again. Stop it." while staring into the churning carboy. I usually have a beer and I feel better, then watch the swirling microbiology experiment. I had the same thing happen in my secondary too. In fact, I have a mead starter that's doing that right now and I'm not worried until I see fuzzy hair on top or smell vinegar.

This is kinda funny for me as I posted the same worry about a week or two ago. Mine was a thin ring of the bubbles around the edge of the wort. I was so into the throes of worrying that I took pictures and posted 'em for folks to look at.
I'll say this about the people that frequent these boards; they can sure talk you down from the ledge (metaphorically speaking, of course) when you think you have a problem.
Good People Here.
R/Cam

Back