My first cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jharres

Reaction score
I put together my first cider two nights ago.

Recipe:
4 1/2 Gallons of Tree Top Apple Juice
2 Cans Apple Juice concentrate (no preservatives or additives)
1 lb Dextrose (to help boost ABV and dry it out a tad)
WLP028 Edinburgh Ale yeast

The gravity reading after mixing and aerating, but before pitching was 1.065, so I'm guessing if it ferments out to around 1.000 it should be around 8-8.5 % ABV. Does this sound correct?

I pitched the yeast without a starter at around 72 F (which is within the range listed on the bottle). After about 6 hours it began fermenting (well, slight kreusen formed), after about 15 hours it was going really good required a blow off hose. This morning it's still going good. The temp (in the carboy, not ambient) has increased to about 74 F though. Generally with beer, I know this will impart "cidery" flavors, but I'm guessing it's not as much of a concern when fermenting cider. Is this accurate?

My plan is to leave it in the primary for a month (assuming the hydrometer readings are consistent), then bottle condition for 3-4 months.

Basically what I'm looking for is a bit of peer review and feedback to see if I'm on the right track, or if I've made some glaring mistakes.

Thanks!
Jacob

Your hitting right on track, you dont need to leave it to condition as much as you have alotted... 2-3 weeks works just fine, but that is my own opinion... your system will work fine and make a great cider

Ok, update time.

After 24 days in the fermenter at an average temp of 69 degrees F, I took a gravity reading and it's only down to 1.030. I was a bit surprised to find it there and not closer to 1.000. I tasted it and it tastes good, just really sweet. I still have some minimal signs of fermentation. There is no more krausen, but I'm still getting bubbles in my airlock every few seconds. At the risk of sounding like a typical noob, is it normal for fermentation to take this long on a cider? I was under the impression that by using an ale yeast, the fermentation would be much quicker...

Ok, another update, as of this evening, the gravity is down to 1.024. At this rate, I'm thinking it will take another 3 weeks to reach a gravity around 1.000. Sigh, impatience is killing me, but on positive note the taste is quite nice and I'm thinking another three weeks of bulk aging will make it even nicer.

This just makes it clear to me that I need yet another carboy. :) Ah, the obsession.

I had a similar experience. Initial SG was 1.065. About a month in SG was at 1.034. It took another month to drop to 1.005 at which point I racked to secondary. I was a little worried of off tastes but it seems to be doing well.

What are the SGs people are getting when they rack to secondary after a month?

After 30 days in primary, it's flavor is quite nice, no odd flavors or anything, so I'm not terribly worried about that.

Is racking to secondary necessary with a cider? I hadn't planned on using a secondary, rather just going straight to the bottle from primary.

A secondary is only necessary when you are trying to make the brew clear.

If it's clear then you don't need to do one. ;)

I always do one because I like it to bulk age/condition before bottling.

I also split up some batches and add other ingredients making 2-3 different flavors from the same cider. :D

Alright, it's stayed steady at 1.024 for the last 5 days. I'm thinking of pitching a packet of Nottingham. What think ye?

I am currently fermenting Ed Worts recipe. 4 days now. I usually keg my beers and don't bottle. i thought It would be great to bottle the cider. Is it easy right from the primary to the bottle/ do you have to add sugar to the batch or to the bottle to gain carbonation in the botttles? Do i keg it for a while then do the pain in the rear technique of bottling c02 carbonated cider? yes I have a rig to help with the C02 but it is still a pain in the rear. Pleaase teach a nooby bottler. I love kegging but want the portability of bottles with this stuff.

Oscar,

Well. it's a little too late for this batch..but I think SNA's would have helped this recipe along quite a bit...adding nutrient at the 1/3 and 2/3's sugar breaks would have kept the ferment rolling along a bit better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert by any means..but I have learned a TON about Staggered Nutrient additions already and am quickly realizing how beneficial they are to just about any mead recipe.

FWIW..just let it go until it clears and you'll know you are getting close to being finished.

Dan

Thanks Dan. It may be too late for yeast nutrients, but would it be too late for yeast energizer?

My only fear in letting it go until it clears is that my second carboy will be in use for many months at this rate!

I put together my first cider two nights ago.

Recipe:
4 1/2 Gallons of Tree Top Apple Juice
2 Cans Apple Juice concentrate (no preservatives or additives)
1 lb Dextrose (to help boost ABV and dry it out a tad)
WLP028 Edinburgh Ale yeast

The gravity reading after mixing and aerating, but before pitching was 1.065, so I'm guessing if it ferments out to around 1.000 it should be around 8-8.5 % ABV. Does this sound correct?

I pitched the yeast without a starter at around 72 F (which is within the range listed on the bottle). After about 6 hours it began fermenting (well, slight kreusen formed), after about 15 hours it was going really good required a blow off hose. This morning it's still going good. The temp (in the carboy, not ambient) has increased to about 74 F though. Generally with beer, I know this will impart "cidery" flavors, but I'm guessing it's not as much of a concern when fermenting cider. Is this accurate?

My plan is to leave it in the primary for a month (assuming the hydrometer readings are consistent), then bottle condition for 3-4 months.

Basically what I'm looking for is a bit of peer review and feedback to see if I'm on the right track, or if I've made some glaring mistakes.

Thanks!
Jacob

I used a recipe very close to this with the only difference being that I added 2 lbs of light brown sugar and a cup of fresh honey instead of 2 cans of concentrate. Started out at 1.065 as well but I used a champagne yeast, nutrient, and my primary conditions have temps sitting at 60-63F. A week and two days in and its seems my fermentation has started to slow.

I didn't realize folks kept their cider in the primary so long, but if this is the case, then I may just wait six weeks and rack into my final gallon containers to age and clear a bit.

Hope you keep this updated as I'm curious as to your results.

I am currently fermenting Ed Worts recipe. 4 days now. I usually keg my beers and don't bottle. i thought It would be great to bottle the cider. Is it easy right from the primary to the bottle/ do you have to add sugar to the batch or to the bottle to gain carbonation in the botttles? Do i keg it for a while then do the pain in the rear technique of bottling c02 carbonated cider? yes I have a rig to help with the C02 but it is still a pain in the rear. Pleaase teach a nooby bottler. I love kegging but want the portability of bottles with this stuff.

Oscar,

You should probably start your own thread on this one!

Back