Washing Yeast from a Big Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotsumbeers

Reaction score
Is it worth washing and saving the yeast from brew that went from 1.107 to 1.020? Is it too pooped out and tired? I would more than likely not be using it on another big beer.

Salute it for doing such a great job as it heads down the drain. That yeast has been through hell, I wouldn't re-pitch it.

Unless you pitched a proper sized starter for the first brew, I wouldn't put them through that hell again. They've been stressed from the first run. While they probably gave you a great batch this time, I wouldn't count on them doing it again for another batch.

Read up about harvesting/washing yeast and how it should be used. Then you'll be able to make a more informed decision for the next time.

BTW, I've washed yeast before. Most of those batches fermented without issue. I messed up on one harvest and didn't do it right. So, I had to purchase a packet of yeast. Since then, the little it cost for yeast (even liquid) wasn't an issue, so I just bought fresh packets as needed (or several at a time, to make shipping per better, and keep them on hand).

I am of the opposing view. Yeast that have survived such have the biological makeup to digest all of those sugars AND do so in a high ABV environment. I say keep them to make either a very dry beer or another large beer.

cockybitz said:
I am of the opposing view. Yeast that have survived such have the biological makeup to digest all of those sugars AND do so in a high ABV environment. I say keep them to make either a very dry beer or another large beer.

Yes. But they will have war stories. In the form of mutations.

Yes. But they will have war stories. In the form of mutations.

Mutations don't happen that fast. It takes several generations before they come about and make any kind of impact.

More likely, the yeast will be stressed (PTSD) from the high OG batch. They could go completely nuts with the next batch, but I wouldn't leave them alone in a wort (suicide watch?)... :eek:

Little to be gained by trying to use them again IMO. Right now I have third gen S-189 and second gen 2206 fermenting a split batch doppelbock. The slurry will be going down the drain with my thanks in a few weeks.

Yeast questions are always interesting because there is so much personal opinion mixed in with fact that it is often tough to tell what is really the case when you are first learning. I don't specifically recall that from White's book but I did more of a skimming on what I found interesting than a thorough reading so I'd be interested on a page number as well. Most people say don't do it so I don't do it. I may have the "biological makeup" to run a marathon but that doesn't mean I won't struggle through a three mile run if I try it right afterwards. May be a poor analogy but it kind of works.

Its also known that breweries use the same yeast over and over again, for several generations/batches without ill effect. Provided they don't over-stress the yeast of course. I actually asked during a brewery tour in this area about how often they reuse the yeast, and it came back at least 10 times/generations from a sample.

Yeast 'mutations' can also be a good thing. Depending on how it changes you could develop your own house yeast this way.

I actually asked during a brewery tour in this area about how often they reuse the yeast, and it came back at least 10 times/generations from a sample.

Yeah I think one of our local pro brewers said he would go a hundred generations and not think twice; the difference is that he is re-pitching a really small amount each time.

Yeah I think one of our local pro brewers said he would go a hundred generations and not think twice; the difference is that he is re-pitching a really small amount each time.

So?? That's also the method I've used when reusing yeast. Harvest as much as you can into several jars, then make a starter from one of those for the batch it's going to ferment. Making starters is a good idea for any batch you're using liquid yeast for. Be it from a lab, or something you harvest/wash yourself. Using a stirplate makes it stupid easy, and fast, too.

??? What do you think happens when a "small amount" is repitched? They form many more generations before the actual fermentation takes place. This isn't advanced species we are talking about here. What do you think happens when we make starters and start with 30bil and need 300 bil to start the batch? That is over 3 generations right there.

Not all mutations are bad, and that is why I suggest such a slurry for a future high gravity brew. The mutations developed allow for survival and metabolism in that high ABV.

Back