Black Currant Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spooty

Reaction score
A friend of mine grows black currants and I make beer. So naturally we've discussed brewing a black currant ale this summer but I have not found a recipe for it. Can anyone suggest one or invent one. (I have not been brewing long enough where I am comfortable creating my own recipes yet.)

Much appreciated!:tank:

I would go with an English pale ale as a base. Amber with caramel flavor so it would taste like current jam....I would boil the currents in a bit of water and grow them in the primary. Don't know about the quantity however and I've been brewing for only a year....good luck and post the results

I've had a black currant stout that was tasty. Just brew your favorite basic stout and add the desired amount of currants to the secondary. (Maybe ~4 lbs?) I recommend against boiling them - you'll set the pectin which will haze your beer and give it a weird texture. The usual procedure to insure they're mostly sanitary is to freeze them and let them thaw. This also helps to break them down so the yeast has an easier time getting at the sugars.

Back