Seasonal rise of my Cellar Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanHolton

Reaction score
Last fall, I started cellaring a few beers. I have a couple really nice stouts, some barleywine, and a keg of imperial stout I brewed at the beginning of September. Now that summer is upon us, I'm noticing my cellar temperature getting up to 65. I'm not sure how much further up it will go, but I'm wondering how much is acceptable. Does anyone have any advice? What's the upper threshold for cellar temp, and what are the risks?
Thanks in advance!

I've been cellaring beer, this being my second summer and I have the same problem with the temp rising. I haven't noticed my big beers developing any unpleasant flavors. BTW my temp usually gets up to about 70-72 in the dead of summer. My feeling is RDWHAHB.

My cellar is more of a heated basement (68*). I will often keep beer for up to a year and it is fine.

Same thing started happening here in Madison. Temps in my under-stairs cellar started creeping up to 65ish in the last week or so. I was always under the assumption that warmer temps=shorter bottle life, cooler temps=longer bottle life. Personally, I was more comfortable moving them to my 45deg keezer than messing with warmer temps. My two cents...

Back