Pretty sure I racked too early, should I extend my secondary time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Reaction score
I think I followed 1-2-3 too closely, instead of waiting until fermentation was complete in my latest brew, EdWort's Haus Ale.

OG on the brew was 1.061, and I was using nottingham dry yeast on it. The initial fermentation was vigorous, the fastest I've seen, ~5 bubbles per second. On day 3 it was already down to 45 seconds between bubbles, so I figured by day 7 it was ready to go.

I brought my pale downstairs, sanitized everything, took the lid off and there were lots of floaties on the beer. ZERO bubbles, just floating scum of some sort. The trub seemed to be about 3/4" at the bottom of the pale. I left about a total of 1.25" in the bottom.

The reason I think I racked too early is that I checked my SG and it was about 1.021, a little higher than I think it probably should be. My mistake was not checking the SG before racking, only afterwards. could all of the disturbed sediment have artificially upped my SG?

Should I take another SG reading in 2 weeks and see what happens? Think there's enough yeast left to finish the fermentation?

Thanks for the help guys.

Don't worry at all. Plenty of yeast to finish I am guessing. The sediment shouldn't change your SG as it is not in solution. Check it again next week. You are roughly %65 attenuated as it stands. The rest will eek out over the next week.

Cool, I hope thats the case. I meant to check my airlock for bubbling this morning, I'll see how it is tonight, 28ish hours after racking.

I might give it 3 weeks in the secondary anyway, just to be sure that its all done.

Back