Best way to add Chocolate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbodkin

Reaction score
I want to kick up my Chocolate Flavor on my Double Chocolate Stout ...

I Added some Coco at the end of the boil already ... But want more :rockin:

What would be the best thing to add to my secondary when I rack it ...

Coco Nibs? Chocolate Chips? Baking Chocolate? Coco extract?

:drunk:

Last year I made double chocolate stout I used a chocolate extract added to the secondary it was great no chalky taste. I got it via the internet, sorry I don't remember where. There are alot of issues with real chocolate because of the oils. For me the extract was the way to go. If you have to wait a week or so to get it thats OK you can add it in just before bottling or keging.

You can use about 6-8 oz of nibs in the secondary or get some high quality extract and a graduated cylinder and work out a proportional addition. If you use the nibs, be aware that more than a week of again can start to impart smokey rather than chocolate flavors so don't go out of town...

Edcculus, great write up. I use powder at the end of the boil, make sure I transfer most of it to primary, and let it sit for about 3 weeks. I don't secondary, but I do add 2/3oz of chocolate extract at bottling along with some lactose. I have made it a few times, and it always is well received.

Back