2 Cornelius kegs. I dunno what to put in them

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylo_k2008

Reaction score
Ok So I have a kegorator. I am hoping to have my project finished hopefully within a week or so. I have 4 taps. 2 of them are for 1/4 commercial kegs and the other 2 are hooked up to cornelius kegs. The problem is I am not sure what I can keep on tap.

I am new to Corny kegs as I just recently bought them. I also bought a few different soda making kits to fill the kegs. And in time I would also like to try and make my own beer. But for now - I am trying to have my project and all 4 taps working by Easter. So I am looking for other ideas, besides beer, what can I keep on tap in my corny kegs? Please let me know. Thanks!

I have Zatarans root beer in mine. $20 for 12 four ounce bottles on Amazon. Each bottle makes five gallons of root beer. I just finished one keg that I made with four pounds of sugar and I just made a batch using Splenda instead of sugar. It's really good.

I actually keep water in mine. With 2 kids and all three of us having different tastes, I currently have 7 different syrups on hand for mixing by the glass. Cola and Root Beer are both hits, though we are exploring options like Blue cotton Candy, Butterscotch, Peppermint, Watermelon, and Mango. I have tried cola, RB, and Watermelon, and just don't care for the watermelon as a soda, though my son loves all the flavors so far. My Daughter is so wild about the root beer that I can't make the syrup fast enough for her.

Some just prefer to make 5 gallons of one kind of soda, but for us, the variety is the better choice. One of the pluses we have is that we can make our sodas as sweet as we want. YMMV though.

i like to make honey ginger ale- i take the "old fashioned" extract that makes 4 gallons and then add that to hot water and steep and crap ton of fresh ginger. Replace half the sugar with honey and make it for 5 gallons. I love it and you gotta keep the kids away for sure.

Kythcat- love that idea, might have to drive it for the next family gathering.

Thanks everyone. Water does sound like a good idea. How would i do that? What pressure would i set my co2 at. I do have a kid so, i want something kid friendly. What about like a fruit punch? I also bought a few different soda extracts. I bought a cola for example so I can make a jack and coke. Haven't maid it yet (Waiting on my secondary regulator), but I am looking forward to it. Also I bought a 50' 1/4" liquid line. If i cut it in 2, and use 25' each for each tap, should that be good enough to keep the pressure under control?

As for the water, just put it in the keg, (we filter it here) and my CO2 is on at around 20psi. The first day I shook the keg every time I was in the kitchen, about once an hour.

As for the lines, will let someone else answer. I'm just using a picnic tap that a local brewer set up for me.

Thanks everyone. Water does sound like a good idea. How would i do that? What pressure would i set my co2 at. I do have a kid so, i want something kid friendly. What about like a fruit punch? I also bought a few different soda extracts. I bought a cola for example so I can make a jack and coke. Haven't maid it yet (Waiting on my secondary regulator), but I am looking forward to it. Also I bought a 50' 1/4" liquid line. If i cut it in 2, and use 25' each for each tap, should that be good enough to keep the pressure under control?

No- those lines are way too short for soda pressures.

You need about 25-30' for each, but of 3/16" line. You can get that line cheap (15 cents/foot) at McMaster-Carr. I bought 50' of it a while back. It's what you need for soda, since it's carbonated and dispensed at a much higher pressure than beer is- usually 25-30 psi at fridge temps.

If you're using 1/4" line, you probably need 50-100' for each.

1/4" and 3/16" are just about the same size...

No, they are not. 1/4" is bigger.

As a result, it's like a firehose when dispensing. Think of the amount of resistance and that there is far more resistance in a 3/16" line.

But if you want to try it anyway, that's usually the best way to learn.

Just doing soda water is great, then you can mix in different flavor syrups afterward. I agree with Yooper that you need 3/16" lines or a different way to lower pressure (like a length of 1/8" line in series with your 1/4" stuff). You could also look in to the epoxy mixer/pressure reducer thing. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/cure-your-short-hose-troubles-100151/

Do I need to buy yeast if I am doing soda extract or will the co2 self carbonate it enough?

Back