Looking for a Kiwi Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smerfs8485

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I havent been brewing that long but I am doing all grain now. My inlaws grow Kiwi vines (or trees what ever they are) all threw there back yard. so this year they gave me 20lbs of kiwi and I thought I would try a kiwi beer, but im in need of some help with a reciepe. Any thoughts would be great Thanks. Would like a all grain version please.:smack:

The first thing that comes to mind is that a saison would be pretty tasty. If thats not your thing a wheat or kolsch would be good too. If you don't care about waiting or bacteria and berliner wiesse or lambic would be good too. No specific recipes, but it might help you pin down exactly what you want.

Yes I was thinking a wheat or Kolsch myself. Just not sure on how much kiwi to put into it. Do i do it in last of boil or in primary or secondary? I have a ruff idea but not sure?

Well went down to local brew shop and got some help with this Kiwi beer. Was suggested to make a cream ale. He has been great on advise before so got all the grains to make a Kiwi Cream Ale. Going to use 20lbs of Kiwi. Im excited here we go. :)

Let me know how it goes... and just FYI. New Belgium has "Billys Beer" which is a kiwi beer. To be honest, it was amazing. It was almost a sour beer. If you call new belgium, or at least email them, I bet he can hook you up with a recipe... or at least a place to start. You seem to have enough kiwi.

Well Brewed the kiwi beer and it sat in primary for 10 days sat in secondary for 14 days and is conditioning in bottles. It was a very heavy fermentation. Kept it at 68 deg. The taste of it when i bottled was very good with a very light bitterness. Cant wait tell its ready. I might sneak one this weekend just to try it. I have 50 bottles im sure it wont hurt. Ha ha :)

ha ha forgot to update this. Well I bottled my kiwi beer and put them into garage thinking there shouldnt be any problem. Forgot that it was in the 30 deg range in there. Yeast went to sleep I guess. Opened one up no carbanation. so took all bottles indoors and put them in closet where they sat for two weeks at 68 deg. stook one in the fridge for a day or two and opened it up got lots of carbanation. Well beer has a great kiwi aroma and taste just like kiwi. but after that kiwi flavor comes a sour tartness. well i like tart and sour stuff so its ok for me. A drinkable beer. for others its too much for them. i guess ill just have to drink all these myself. Im thinking ill let some age for some time and see if it gets any better. Only time will tell.:drunk:

I've got a kiwi wheat that's just in the bottle a month now, it's on the sweet side with just a faint touch of the kiwi tartness.

I did the northern brewer wheat ale extract kit,(5 gal batch) primary for two weeks , cut 8lbs kiwi into half inch chunks soaked in vodka for three days, then racked into secondary on top of kiwi for two weeks. this will be a great spring/summer beer.

I may try to recreate it with all grain now that I've gone that route.

I believe there is a Kiwi beer recipe in Sam Calagione's Extreme Beers book. I've heard good things about it.

Next time juice a few, strain them and see what the gravity is of the straight juice. You might be able to do a kiwi "cider" or wine.

Back