Terrible Experience with Crankandstein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jube24

Reaction score
Ordered a 2A mill from Crankandstein on 12/27 and received prompt e-mail I would have it in 4 weeks. They explained the have a lot of orders and it would take some time. Last week e-mailed them and they said it was scheduled to ship last week, but at the end of the week nothing happened. Asked them if they could guarantee my mill would ship next week and he just sent my money back to me. So, I've waited 5 weeks for a mill and all I have is my money back. Has anyone had a similar experience with them or know why they can't ship out a mill in 5 weeks.

He's a one man shop and I suspect he's overloaded right now. If you can wait he makes great mills.

I ordered my 3d at almost the same time, and he just shipped it a couple days ago. I can only assume he's overloaded with orders like thargrav said. It sucks to wait almost a month to get the thing, but he did say 4 weeks in the original order email. I'd rather he take his time to get this thing done right than to quickly ship out a bunch of crappy mills.

You guys are right about waiting, but I have stuff waiting to go and he couldn't guarantee a time frame. He was very nice about it, but couldn't tell me if it would be this week or three weeks from now. I just can't wait not knowing.

Last year I tried to order one from Brewmasters Warehouse and they were out of stock for a long time (4+ weeks). BW was very nice about it but I gave up and ordered a Barley Crusher. Barley Crusher works just fine.

Yeah he makes a great mill. Mine has been going strong for almost 4 years now. Never a single problem with it. I think it took a little over a month to get mine when I ordered and that was a while back.

Sorry to hear about your mill. It sucks the timing didn't work out for you, but good that he returned your money and was communicative the whole time. That's what I'd call a failure to do business, but not a horrible experience.

I just bought a Monster MM2-2.0 in stainless. I ordered the day they got the side frames back in stock to make them, and he shipped it out the next freaking day. Talk about fast. It's very similar to the Crankandstein, honestly, as they used to be business partners. I know the MM2 is shipping fast right now, about the same price and similar in quality, but with 1" longer rollers.

You might consider the JSP Malt Mill also. It's a full 12" long beastie, and about the same price. Reports I've seen indicate that they last quite a while, but do eventually wear.

Other than the detent feature of the 2D, I can't find anything unique about C&S mills.

Back