DYI Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright there was no reply on this thread. Let me add a more specific question.

The 30a kit for PID that I included in my previous design is designed for two 5500w elements, one running at the times. I want to update that and modify it to work with 2 elements 4500w elements that will draw a total of 38amps.

Can you help tell me what's is the component I need to upgrade. Those SSR are rated to 40a so I think I should be fine maybe need to upgrade the heat sinks.

Here the list of components

Kit includes all pieces necessary to build a PID controlled electric panel with 2 220v elements and 2 pumps. Uses 2 PIDS.

Kit includes:

8 - LEDs (2 white 220v, 2 white 110v, 2 yellow 110v, 1 red 110v, and 1 green 220v)
1 - Emergency Stop locking push button with NC Contact
1 - Extra No contact for E-Stop
4 - 2-Way Switches with 1 NO Contact. For power to PIDs and pumps
1 - 3-Way Switches with 1 NO Contact. For power to element's contactors
1 - Key toggle Switch for panel on/off
3 - 40a Contactors w/ 110v Coils (1 ea for elements, and 1 for control panel power)
2 - 40a Solid State Relays for PID control of elements, includes heatsink
1 meter of DIN rail, cut in either 1/3s (fits enclosure perfectly) or 1/2
20 - Terminal Blocks for wire from 6-24 awg
1 - 25a 2 pole DIN Rail Breaker
1 - 16a 1 pole DIN Rail Breaker
6 - Terminal block anchoring ends
3 - Terminal block end covers
3 - Terminal block seperators
2 - Terminal block connecting bridge pieces
1 - Wiring diagram with our recommended design
1 - Buzzer

For 2x 4500w elements running at the same time wouldn't you need to go with 50A instead of 30A?

I also think the common variants of 2x 4500w I see are:
1 - 2x independently fired elements for back-to-back batches.
2 - 2x fired-together elements for larger batches / quicker ramps.

I'm not sure which setup their 50A DIY kit schematic is setup for or which setup you're looking to do.

I ended up going with a bunch of parts from them for my 50A panel as well as some parts from other suppliers. I'm setting mine up for larger batches instead of back-to-back batches.

EDIT: in case you didn't see it here's their 50A DIY kit.

Latest posts

Back