Stir plate for degassing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Long story short, i tried to build a stir plate but it isnt working as well as i might hope (as in its not really working at all), and i'm debating just chucking the whole thing.

Has anyone else tried using a stir plate to degas? It should be a pretty easy way to agitate the wine to get CO2 out while still leaving the airlock on to keep things nice and sterile.

I know several guys use stir plates for yeast starters, so maybe someone who has a working stir plate can help me out while we are at it...? I cant seem to get my magnets to "catch" the stir bar. I think my fan is spinning up too quickly but i cant get it to start any slower. I may try a different fan, but i ran out of time tonight. I am using a pair of rare earth magnets for the plate and a bolt i screwed into a piece of vinyl tubing for the stir bar. My bar jiggles and makes a racket, but doesnt spin well.

My plan was to attach my brake bleeder to the carboy while stirring. With my bleeder attached even a gentle swirl drops the vacuum quite a bit.

I suppose my main goal is simply to stir/agitate the wine while the airlock or vacuum is attached.

I picked up one of those food vacuum sealer pumps at walmart..... Does a great job and easy to use.....

hey BobJ, not wanting to highjack here, but which one did you get and how did you hook it up to your carboy(s)? thanks,

Back