How do you guys move your carboys around?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrymanback92

Reaction score
Well, threw out my back last night while I was bottling my second batch, and I realized there's gotta be a better way. The way my house is set up I have to move my carboys down one flight of stairs. I realized I probably need to get a push cart or something; what do you guys do? Those 6.5 gallon Carboys get heavy when they're filled!

image_11835.jpg

Harbor Freight dolly with carboy in milk crate. I use BB now instead of glass which helps cut the weight.

^^^thats exactly what I need. What do you sacrifice switching from glass to plastic?

Weight. :)

The ability to use brushes to clean; I find a 2 : 1 :: oxiclean : TSP solution will make quick work of fermentation residue, however; and you can get away with using a small amount (and a small amount of water) by inverting the BB in a small pail … only 1-2 gallons water (and the related amount of cleaners) needed, then. It does still take time, however … so racking out of a BB and quickly cleaning (with a wire brush) and sanitizing to turn the carboy around for a new batch is somewhat out of the question.

Carboy handles. They're available at almost any reputable HMS for less than 10 bucks. Of course buckets are also an option, but may cost more initially. IDK, I don't brew in plastic. Not that there is anything wrong with it, just a matter of choice and the gear I started with. I just love Stainless and Glass. Again plastic is just fine, and as previously mentioned, lighter, and won't dent or shatter on ya. Carboy Handles. I don't think there's any flavor difference brewing with plastic, however you must be careful cleaning your plastic as any abrasion marks left behind may create hiding spots for bad stuff. So just be careful cleaning your plastic, keep good sanitation procedures and brew on!

I use a rope hauler from a DIY I found on here. I'd link it but I'm on my phone. Doesn't help with weight but it's a lot less awkward.

If you can handle the weight of a full glass carboy, a milk crate is quite good for carrying it safely.

Well, threw out my back last night while I was bottling my second batch, and I realized there's gotta be a better way. The way my house is set up I have to move my carboys down one flight of stairs. I realized I probably need to get a push cart or something; what do you guys do? Those 6.5 gallon Carboys get heavy when they're filled!

Lots of people use milk crates, but a BrewHauler may be better in your case because you won't have to bend over as far to grab the handles. Also using Better Bottles instead of glass will help cut the weight, not to mention the risk of dropping it going down the stairs.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/the-brew-hauler.html

I have a couple of these, they are adjustable and fit 5-7 gallon carboys.

the-brew-hauler.jpg

Or I have the old school milk crate.

carboy milk crate.jpg

Thanks guys! I have Carboy handles, I'm afraid to fully rely on them with s fullcarboy handle. Those straps you tie around the Carboy look really cool, I think im gonna look into those and s milk cart!

carboy handles. They're available at almost any reputable hms for less than 10 bucks. Of course buckets are also an option, but may cost more initially. Idk, i don't brew in plastic. Not that there is anything wrong with it, just a matter of choice and the gear i started with. I just love stainless and glass. Again plastic is just fine, and as previously mentioned, lighter, and won't dent or shatter on ya. Carboy handles. I don't think there's any flavor difference brewing with plastic, however you must be careful cleaning your plastic as any abrasion marks left behind may create hiding spots for bad stuff. So just be careful cleaning your plastic, keep good sanitation procedures and brew on!

+1

Or more and smaller batches? Maybe split a full batch between 2 smaller carboys?

I have two brew haulers and I love em. Makes carrying an awkward load like that fairly easy.

Big +1 on the Brew Hauler. Heavy is heavy, but it's a lot safer then trying to move one by hand... especially when the carboy is wet.

I find that mine is just big enough for my 6.5 gal carboy... But the contraption only has maybe 1 1/2" to spare on the locking strap. That made me nervous when I first used it, but the straps have never slipped and I've never had any problems. The Brew Hauler is plenty big enough for my 5's.

I use a brew hauler too, same story as OP, moving full 6 gallon carboy from main floor kitchen to basement storage room that stays a very steady 63 F.

Carboy handles. They're available at almost any reputable HMS for less than 10 bucks. Of course buckets are also an option, but may cost more initially. IDK, I don't brew in plastic. Not that there is anything wrong with it, just a matter of choice and the gear I started with. I just love Stainless and Glass. Again plastic is just fine, and as previously mentioned, lighter, and won't dent or shatter on ya. Carboy Handles. I don't think there's any flavor difference brewing with plastic, however you must be careful cleaning your plastic as any abrasion marks left behind may create hiding spots for bad stuff. So just be careful cleaning your plastic, keep good sanitation procedures and brew on!

I'm sure you've been successfully doing this for quite some time but i'd strongly caution against it!!! I've seen a 5g batch of beer lost minutes after brewday because they picked up the carboy with the handle....and the neck cracked, broke off, and sent the carboy down ~1 ft, shattered on impact. Not fun!

I followed this thread: Rope Hauler

It was pretty easy, just took a little time and patience. I recommend finding where he posted the pictures, he mentions it somewhere in the thread. Bought the rope for maybe 10 bucks and it'll easily make three or four.

By hand, and very carefully. I'm really careful about making sure my hands are dry, and that the carboy is dry, and I squat down real low to get it so as to save my back. I also don't have to carry it more than 10-15 feet at a time - I might not be so cavalier if I was going up and down stairs with a full carboy though.

Carboy handles. Never had an accident, knock on wood. And I carry em low. To each their own. Either way ya go, be careful, and happy brewing! Cheers!

How about a cam buckle or ratchet strap and a hand truck? I can weld and fabricate... HMMM... Getting some ideas. Again Mellman, Props for the input. Ya never stop learning, in this biz, LOL!

I have a brew hauler and some milk crates. The brew hauler is genius.

My house is 1 story, so I often lift the carboy into the seat of an office chair and then wheel it around like a wheelchair. Yep I'm lazy :ban:

I spin it on my finger like a Harlem Globetrotter...seriously though, 1 gallon batches here in glass carboys so no need for anything

I make my 8 year old son pick them up daddy's getting old and beer is heavy

brew hauler. though I need to order another so I can have one for each carboy and not have to switch back and forth...

If you can handle the weight of a full glass carboy, a milk crate is quite good for carrying it safely.

This. I'm built like an ox. So I use a crate for handles, and I'm in business. Lift with your legs. Keep your head up.

Love my brew haulers!

I thought about doing it with rope or paracord but they are pretty cheap so I got a couple instead. I figured better something with glowing reviews and well tested by others than trusting my beer and my health to my rope skills. :p

Two raggity oak pallets from work gleaned enough wood for my 6.5 and both 5 gal carboys. Even holds up when full of beer.

ForumRunner_20120220_194342.jpg

Back