Can anyone translate this for me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeretheBrews

Reaction score
Hello all, I am jason. I am new to this forum, and semi-new to brewing. I started about 4 years ago, but put it down shortly after to join the military. Now that my time is up I want to ge tback in the swing of things. I found this recipe which was posted by cheesefood, and it seems interesting,however I have been out so long I dont know what all of it means. Will anyone help me here please

Here's the final recipe that I'm brewing RIGHT NOW.

Malts
3 pounds extra light DME
3 pounds light wheat DME
1 pound Caramel 60L (steeped for 45 minutes at 150'-165')

Hops
1oz Cascade for bittering (60 minutes)
.5oz Saaz for flavor (20 minutes)
.5 oz Tettnang for aroma (end of boil)

Yeast
Wyeast German Ale (they don't carry White Labs)

Extras
1 tsp Irish Moss (10 minutes)
4oz Lactose @ 15 minutes
2 oz real vanilla extract (too damned expensive to use more)

[EDIT]
Priming
>1cup Lactose
4oz vanilla
1.5 cups light DME

I'm adding the Lactose in the last 15 minutes of the boil. I'll add the vanilla in the primary, because I don't want to risk losing any that bonds to the trub. So far, it smells fantastic but I'm still at the bittering hops boil. I think this should end up with a nice caramel flavor and a good hint (perhaps a suggestion size amount) of vanilla. I've had vanillas with way too much flavor and they tasted too much like candy. This should have a decent balance.

Notes: 11/4/05

So good. Can't even explain it - you simply must make this beer. I let it prime for almost 2 weeks before fridging it, then cracked one tonight after only about 30 hours. Great head, good lace, nice color, good body and nose. Pictures won't do it justice, but here's one anyways

Where can I get these ingredients? Does anyone know any reputable homebrew suppliers online? Thanks.

When people use the 1-2-3 method does this mean you need to fermenters plus the bottling bucket? Or just two buckets. Ferment in 1 for 1 week, then switch let it sit for 2, then bottle and sit for 3?

1-2-3 method =

1) one week in the primary (plastic pail or 6.5 gallon carboy)
2) two weeks in the secondary (usually a five gallon carboy)
3) three in the bottles (48+ 12 ounce bottles)

As far as homebrew websites, I found this in the General Beer Discussion area:

Sticky: Homebrew Supply Websites (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 ... Last Page)

Thank you for the clarification. This recipe shouldn't be too hard for beginners should it?

Malts
3 pounds extra light DME
3 pounds light wheat DME
1 pound Caramel 60L (steeped for 45 minutes at 150'-165')

Hops
1oz Cascade for bittering (60 minutes)
.5oz Saaz for flavor (20 minutes)
.5 oz Tettnang for aroma (end of boil)

Yeast
Wyeast German Ale (they don't carry White Labs)

Extras
1 tsp Irish Moss (10 minutes)
4oz Lactose @ 15 minutes
2 oz real vanilla extract (too damned expensive to use more)

[EDIT]
Priming
>1cup Lactose
4oz vanilla
1.5 cups light DME

I'm adding the Lactose in the last 15 minutes of the boil. I'll add the vanilla in the primary, because I don't want to risk losing any that bonds to the trub. So far, it smells fantastic but I'm still at the bittering hops boil. I think this should end up with a nice caramel flavor and a good hint (perhaps a suggestion size amount) of vanilla. I've had vanillas with way too much flavor and they tasted too much like candy. This should have a decent balance.

Are those hops and malts hard to find? I can't seem to find those exact ones anywhere... Remember i new!

"Thank you for the clarification. This recipe shouldn't be too hard for beginners should it?"

Nah, you should be fine with it.

This will get you off to a great start:

www.howtobrew.com

Not that people here mind answering questions. It's just a valuable resource... :)

In Palm Harbor off of Tampa Rd... Its actually more in clearwater, but most people dont know where that is.

Back