Using my Hydrometer - Touches the sides of the tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewrican

Reaction score
So when i tried to use my hydrometer today, I found that the top of it touches the sides (leans over i guess) and i could not get an accurate reading. I scrapped the idea and just air-locked my beer to protect it.

Does anyone else have this issue? It is a plastic tube and is the one that it came in. Does anyone else use another container to take hydrometer readings in? I just don't want to use much larger of a container as i dont want to waste my beer.

BTW, i tasted it for the first time.. MMMMMM! I am brewing Charlies quick brown ale. I cant wait for it to be done!

I sometimes need to tilt my wine thief around until I can get the hydrometer balanced in the middle.

I use a tube designed for that purpose. I think they are called sample tubes. I have heard of some people just sanitizing the hydrometer and dropping it in the bucket if you are fermenting in one of those. Can't do it in a carboy and the longer you leave a bucket wide open the more you are opening yourself up to infection.
However, mine stands up pretty straight in any case.

I have the same problem when bubbles build up on the hydrometer. A quick spin usually throws off the bubbles, and it floats up right.

Thanks for the replies.

I will have to give the spin and settle thing a shot. My main complaint about my hydrometer tube (that it came in) is that it is plastic and has a removable top. When I had it filled with beer (or water) it slowly leaks out making an un-needed mess :(

I wonder if i can just buy a glass tube to drop my hydrometer in?

I will re-test tonight. Hopefully I will have better results.

I got a cylinder from my LHBS.. it looks like a graduated cylinder from high school, minus the graduations. Its wide enough for the hydrometer to fit, and fits enough beer in it to actually get an accurate reading. Any of the online stores have em, just grab one next time you order something. shouldnt be more than a couple of bucks!!

Thanks for the replies.

I will have to give the spin and settle thing a shot. My main complaint about my hydrometer tube (that it came in) is that it is plastic and has a removable top. When I had it filled with beer (or water) it slowly leaks out making an un-needed mess :(

I wonder if i can just buy a glass tube to drop my hydrometer in?

I will re-test tonight. Hopefully I will have better results.

I don't think you should be using that tube to do your graivty testing in. Its more for just storing the hydrometer in. Get a graduated cylinder like SteveStLoo and Boodlemania said.

Back