28 Pound Hop Addition!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did he say 28 pounds of Simcoe? Holy crap! I could make a killer IPA with that! :cross:

Did he say 28 pounds of Simcoe? Holy crap! I could make a killer IPA with that! :cross:

Yes, I said "28 pounds of Simcoe". What a rush.

Simcoe.jpg

The aroma was killer!

When I was at Stone for CBC last month it was pretty cool to see that dedicated hop cooler. Of course with 1500 brewers wandering around the brewery, they posted a uniformed guard right in front of it. Pretty funny.

anchor brewery in san francisco let's you walk by a completely open room of hops, they're just piling out of boxes on to the floor and by the doorway. i totally could have scored a few ounces with a swipe of my hand. ya know, if i was a thief.

Does anyone know how many barrels are in that "batch" with the 28 lbs of hops at the beginning?

So.. it's just a coincidnece that you now use the same hops as anchor in all your brews, and that you have been doing the tour a lot with a large backpack? :D

TOTAL coincidence :D

i actually have stocked up quite a bit of northern brewer, by legal means of course ;)

damn, i need to get the cabinet finished...work's been killing me. then i can start using it!

Wow. I would have loved to have been there just to witness the magnitude of brewing on that scale.

I could imagine the post on here:

"Yeah, my beer has a funny off flavor, can you help?!? Maybe it's because of the plastic bag that dropped into the boiling wort when I dumped in the 28 pounds of hops?" :p

I could imagine the post on here:

"Yeah, my beer has a funny off flavor, can you help?!? Maybe it's because of the plastic bag that dropped into the boiling wort when I dumped in the 28 pounds of hops?" :p

Yeah, did you catch that. The Brewer said "The trick is not to drop the bag in with the hops, Mylar melts". LOL!

Yeah, did you catch that. The Brewer said "The trick is not to drop the bag in with the hops, Mylar melts". LOL!

One of my buddies did some beer school in chicago and ended up in class with some execs from miller - they told him a story about a strange off flavor they kept having around christmas time. Seems as if one of the guys was boiling a christmas ham in the beer every year. MMM...beer ham...

I fell in love with it :D

Ditto. I used Simcoe for bittering and dry hopping in my IPA. I'm drinking one right now and after only eight days it's excellent. I can't wait to see what it will be like after a couple more weeks. I'll be using Simcoe in my next brew no doubt.

Back