Too much water in air lock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmelliott87

Reaction score
Newbie question for my first brew. Can you have too much water in a 3 pc air lock?

image-4179060290.jpg

Not really...but if you have some temperature swings, you could be in danger of "suckback" if the temperate drops (basically, if the temp drops too much, the gas in the headspace of the fermenter compacts, creating a vacuum and your airpiece liquid could end up being sucked into the beer). For this reason, I use vodka in the airlock - water is not sanitary. Some folks use sanitation liquid (like star san), but cheap vodka seems to work fine for me.

Not really...but if you have some temperature swings, you could be in danger of "suckback" if the temperate drops (basically, if the temp drops too much, the gas in the headspace of the fermenter compacts, creating a vacuum and your airpiece liquid could end up being sucked into the beer). For this reason, I use vodka in the airlock - water is not sanitary. Some folks use sanitation liquid (like star san), but cheap vodka seems to work fine for me.

I have just started brewing but this is something that I have not thought of. It is an excellent idea though and I think I will use it on my next batch. Thanks!

I have just started brewing but this is something that I have not thought of. It is an excellent idea though and I think I will use it on my next batch. Thanks!

You're welcome. Every so often I just go to the local liquor store and grab the cheapest plastic bottle of vodka I can find - it's usually on the bottom shelf and costs ~$7. If you do get suckback...an ounce of cheap vodka in your beer won't be noticeable.

Latest posts

Back