Wyeast 3724 High Temp !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaG

Reaction score
Hello All,
First time poster here, but have been lurking for awhile. I did a search but can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. I pitched a 1.6L starter in 5 gals at 85 deg. Now I had read that high temps was a good thing with 3724. So with my brainstorm I set the fermenter on a heat pad and wrapped a blanket around it. Within the hour, fermentation was rippin' and snortin'. Now almost 30 hrs later, nothing........not even a burp. I checked the gravity and sure enough 1.035, just like I had read. My issue I think, is I have let the temp get way too high. The wort is 98 degrees! Have I screwed the pooch and killed the yeast? On the bright side, wort has a nice orangeish hue to it and actually tasted pretty good. Thanks for any help you can provide. And again I apologize if this has been discussed already.
DaG

DaG said:
Hello All,
First time poster here, but have been lurking for awhile. I did a search but can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. I pitched a 1.6L starter in 5 gals at 85 deg. Now I had read that high temps was a good thing with 3724. So with my brainstorm I set the fermenter on a heat pad and wrapped a blanket around it. Within the hour, fermentation was rippin' and snortin'. Now almost 30 hrs later, nothing........not even a burp. I checked the gravity and sure enough 1.035, just like I had read. My issue I think, is I have let the temp get way too high. The wort is 98 degrees! Have I screwed the pooch and killed the yeast? On the bright side, wort has a nice orangeish hue to it and actually tasted pretty good. Thanks for any help you can provide. And again I apologize if this has been discussed already.
DaG

According to wyeast website this yeast will appear stuck after quick vigorous fermentation.

You raised the temp which was recommended also but a little higher than suggested.

It should finish but you need to be patient and give it some time to drop. Give it a week and take another reading and go from there

3724 is one of my favorite strains. The spicy notes can work really well in a lot of ale styles, not just Saisons. I'll typically overpitch, and start the ferment in the mid 80s, ramping to at least 90. It will usually go to completion within a week, but not always. Just as Wyeast states, I've had it get stuck at 035 and take several weeks to finish.

Your yeast is fine. I bet the beer comes out tasting great, just give it more time. Like several more weeks worth of time. I'd let the temperature come back down to whatever ambient is, assuming it's not very cold, then try again in two weeks. Then 4 weeks if not done yet. It can be hard waiting that long for beer, but it'll be worth it.

i love this yeast. i did 11 gal of rye saison over the summer with it. started it out a lot cooler, around 68, and ramped up to 90 by the end of it. ran it 3 weeks in primary before cold crashing and kegging. give it a couple more weeks and take a gravity reading. a little patience will do you good here. mine finished up at 1.004, for an awesome dry saison. let us know how it turns out.

I just used this yeast and it was a beast. Pitched at 70 let it rise naturally to 76. After 3 days went to 66 in a cool part of the house. Heated to 80 to 90 for 5 days. It was at 1.003 in 8 days. No bad tastes or smells. Great beer. Another week in secondary and see where the gravitys at

Thanks for the replies. I wonder if by taking the wort to 98 deg if that had a negative effect on the yeast ?? I checked it earlier today and it's now down to 1.024 @ 83 deg (1.028 corrected ?) Sounds like I'm just gonna have to put on my be patient britches and let this one ride awhile. Would there be any harm in adding yeast nutrients?

Update: After 42 days in primary, FG is at 1.004. Bottled with 5oz of corn sugar and gonna let it ride till mid summer. Thanks for all the replies.

Back