Wood Wheel Base for Angle Iron Brewstand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeebas

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I recently acquired an angle iron brewstand much like this

PB260090.jpg
(not mine, just the first image I could find)

Except it has no wheels on it and I plan on needing to move this around from an enclosed room to the outside deck (I don't have a garage unfortunately).

Rather than welding the casters onto the angle iron itself, would it be reasonably safe to build a wooden wheel base or cart and then place the stand on that? I figure that the wood would be far enough away form the heat of the burners.

I would attach small pieces of wood so as to keep the angle iron from shifting while on top of the wood. Would this possibly be more structurally sound as all of the weight of the stand would be resting on the wood base and not 4 wheels on the corners of the angle iron?

I figure with the wood I would also have a relatively easy place to mount the pump, plate chiller and gas manifold.

Does it not have angle across the bottom that you could drill and mount the casters on?

Those should work fine, same casters I put on the bottom of my old wooden three tier stand. While you're at HD, grab a cobalt drill bit and it will bite right through mild steel angle.

Back