Jamil's Evil Twin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just brewed this:

5 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 3 41.7 %
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 33.3 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5 8.3 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 6 6.3 %
6.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 7 3.1 %
6.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 8 3.1 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (pale) (225.0 SRM) Grain 10 2.1 %

1.00 oz Amarillo [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 11 8.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 12 18.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 13 5.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 14 10.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo [4.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #S-05) [50.28 ml] (washed slurry)

It's very similar to Jami's Evil Twin, just with a lower OG and a few subs (with what I had). The wort smells and looks great!

Has anybody brewed something like this recently? I'd be curious to know how you did it, and if you did all hopbursting.

I brew something almost spot on to this except for color I use 1.5 ounces of finely crushed chocolate wheat malt. It turns out fantastic. It is one of those beers that gives you the best of both worlds....malt and hops in one tasty beverage. Enjoy!

I did an Evil Twin no-chill that I sort of messed up my hop times on.
It came out a little more bitter than I'd have liked, but everyone else thought it was one of my best beers ever.

Next time, I'm using the plate chiller to knock out the wort temp ASAP to keep those hops just right.

Like jlpred55 said, it's an awesome, balanced beer. Lots of malt, lots of hops.

I just did a big apa/light ipa with all late hops. Airlock smells great, and the hydometer (pre fermentation) was really hoppy. I will report back with taste when its ready. I did 5 oz all <20 mins.

I did about a 15 minute whirlpool/recirculation during the first part of chilling, until the wort was at 140 or so. The wort is ultra clear (remembered the whirlfloc this time!) and tasted very hoppy and bitter going into the fermenter.

I did something very similar (ET grain bill, changed the hops up a bit to chinook, columbus, and cascade) and this is a great, great recipe. The malt character is excellent and the bit of pale chocolate malt gives a bright, burnt red color. Awesome.

You're going to be more than happy with how it turns out. Centennial and Amarillo were made for each other.

I recently used a similar hop schedule in a rye ipa: DDH Rye

1.00 oz Columbus (60 min)
0.75 oz Centennial (15 min)
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold (15 min)
0.50 oz Centennial (10 min)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold (10 min)
0.50 oz Centennial (5 min)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold (5 min)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold (0 min)
0.50 oz Centennial (0 min)

Dry hop #1 in secondary 10 days

1.00 oz Simcoe
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold
1.00 oz Centennial

Dry hop #2 keg hops

1.00 oz Simcoe
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold
1.00 oz Centennial

Wow- this is soooooo good!

I love it! I was going to dryhop hop it today, so I went to rack it over to a carboy (I need the fermenter), and I took a sample. It finished at 1.014 and the taste is amazing. It's bright, rich, and very hoppy in the finish. My calculators show it at 5.5% ABV- a perfect session beer. I ended up not dryhopping it, as I love it the way it is. It's cloudy still because of the S05, but it should clear in the next week and I'll keg it when I have an empty keg or room in the kegerator.

The only complaint I have is that it's too dark. It's more of an American brown in color, so I will reduce the pale chocolate next time, probably in half.

Hey, I say leave it if it tastes good. Then again, maybe you would like it better with less pale chocolate. I suppose it's always worth a rebrew.

Oh, yes- and I'm going to rebrew a 10 gallon batch but half the pale chocolate, I think. That is, if I can source some amarillo hops in bulk!

Yooper, could you give us the other details on this brew, i.e. batch volume and beer and mash profile? Thanks

I just brewed this:

5 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 3 41.7 %
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 33.3 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 5 8.3 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 6 6.3 %
6.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 7 3.1 %
6.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 8 3.1 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (pale) (225.0 SRM) Grain 10 2.1 %

1.00 oz Amarillo [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 11 8.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 12 18.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 13 5.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 14 10.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo [4.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #S-05) [50.28 ml] (washed slurry)

I usually mash at 152/153 and assume I did the same here. It was a 5ish gallon batch, usually 5.50 gallons to the fermenter. OG was 1.054 and FG was 1.012.

I'm going to make it again when I come home at the end of March. I will change only one thing- it was too brown. I will lower the pale chocolate (maybe even in half) or cut it out and add 1 ounce roast barley instead. It tasted great- but looked like an American brown. A very small thing, I know, but it bothered me!

This is what I'm going to do tomorrow:

evilwookiee.jpg

Thanks Yooper. I like hoppy ambers and will probably give this a try as is. Beersmith estimated color to be 14.5 SRM. But if it turns out to be a hoppy brown I'm good with that too.

Gorgeous! Tasting notes?

I've been drinking a lot I Evil Twin lately and it's hands down the best beer I've had in a while. It's slightly malty and dry at the same time. Just the perfect level of sweetness. The aroma and hop flavor are enormous w/o the bitterness to make you pause between drinks. Just a perfectly balanced beer that is very complex.

I'd say this beer is a masterpiece. Totally changed what I shoot for in my home brewing.

jammin said:
I've been drinking a lot I Evil Twin lately and it's hands down the best beer I've had in a while. It's slightly malty and dry at the same time. Just the perfect level of sweetness. The aroma and hop flavor are enormous w/o the bitterness to make you pause between drinks. Just a perfectly balanced beer that is very complex.

Exactly what I was gona say:)
+1

I just kegged mine. The recipe I posted above is what I used. The sample tasted OH SO GOOD. The hop flavor is fantastic. I'm really looking forward to tasting it when it's carbonated. Here's a pic of the sample. I'll post another one once it's carbonated and everything has settled out.

evilwookieesample.jpg

Well, I boost carbed from Wednesday afternoon to Friday afternoon. This beer is only 2 weeks old and I've already had 5 pints of it. I can't help myself, it really is THAT GOOD. I'm glad I followed Yooper's lead and dropped the gravity a bit. This is a fantastic beer. I'm liking the Centennial and Citra combo too.

evilwookieepint.jpg

I will be attempting to brew this on Saturday. It will be my second all grain batch, lets hope for a better efficiency.

I made an extract version of this beer back in '09 and it was the best extract beer I ever made. Like, "I can't believe I made this" good. My bottles went quick. When I made it a second time I screwed up and used 3 month old munich syrup I stored duck taped shut in the fridge. Well, that didn't work and the syrup likely went stale and I likely scorched some of it in the boil on top of it. Beer tasted like hoppy burnt hard candy. Ended up dumping most of it (and used a little in some chili)....

Been all grain since 2010 but never got back to brewing this one. After drinking Lagunitas Imperial Red last weekend (and after this season's Great Lakes Nosferatu didn't seem as awesome as I had remembered it) I got the itch to give this one a go again. Ordered everything I needed for it last night. Sticking with Columbus, Centennial, Cascade. Hopefully brewing it one of these next few weeks. Fantastic beer. Hopefully 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Brewed this on Saturday, it was my second all grain batch. Efficiency was 66% which I will take. Color looked amazing and came it at OG 1.071. Used Pacman yeast can't wait until its done.

Super aggressive fermentation from the Pacman!!! Might be close to being complete!!! Can't wait to have this on tap along with Yoopers 60 min IPA!!!

Yooper or anyone have thoughts on using magnum, cascade or chinook instead?

comments appreciated.

*********************************************************************************
on 2nd thought might need to tweak grain bill for those flavored hops.

Back