Equipment Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
I have been brewing for a little more than 2 years. Last 6 batches or so have been partials. I have $500 to spend. What equipment would you recommend I look into? Right now I have all the basics. Bucket fermentor, glass carboy, cooler converted mash tun and so on. Thanks for any advice.

I’m really excited. Haven’t had this much money at my disposal before for brewing. :)

fermentation chamber. Most important piece if you ask me. You need to have some place to ferment your beer where it is temperature controlled. Fortunately if you are patient you can simply pick up a chest freezer for about $50-$80 on craigslist and a temp controller for about 65 (includes extension cord for wiring it yourself). This only takes up $145 of your money so there is plenty more.

But improving fermentation temperature is one of my favorite upgrades.

+ 1 on the fermentation control, and may I suggest a kegging setup, even if its only for two kegs with picnic taps... I'm about to get that ball rolling myself and am excited to not have to bottle unless I feel like it.

Agreed. Right now I am limited due to not having control of the temp. I have an outside guest room but if I keep the entire room at a constant temp and run the power bill up, I have a feeling i will be in the dog house. I will start looking for a freezer. Thanks for the input. Love this site.

I am switching to kegging for sure. Thanks Kammee. This is the perfect time to do it as well. Cant stand bottling anymore.

Back