Rice Hulls Substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

celiacsurvivor

Reaction score
I am looking for something other than rice hulls to help with stuck sparges.

I malted 1kg of buckwheat and last night I did a concoction mash with it (complete recipe protocol to follow when finished brewing), but the sparging was a nightmare.

It is next to impossible to get rice hulls in NZ so I need something else.

Would I be able to use unmalted hard buckwheat or other GF grain or would they soak up too much water?

My other idea is to use really small pebbles or even sand?

Any ideas?

No ideas but we should would like to hear about any experiments you try :)

Kidding, did you grind these to a flour or something. I'm thinking that maybe a larger gf grain would work, but maybe it WOULD soak up too much water, dunno.

well i have in a post when i was talking about my home malted quinoa brews. ive havent had luck with a false bottom. so in leu of that i use a nylon grain bag thats about the same diameter around and slightly taller than my mash tun. with how small the GF grains are stuck mashes are going to happen. but with the grain bag, when the mash stickes, simply take the edge of the bag right above the out spout and shuffle it. just lift slightly. and it doesnt require a lot of force because that will disturb the grain bed and cause even more stuff to go into the boil kettle. the stick will blow out. any sort of sediment into the boil kettle will settle out during fermentation.

No ideas but we should would like to hear about any experiments you try :)

I'll definitley do some experimenting, I've got some more buckwheat and millet that I'm going to start malting tonight.

I think I'll start by just soaking some grains and beans etc in warm water and see how much of it they soak up then take it from there.

I reckon the really small pebbles you use in aquariums would do the trick too, so I might get some of them.

I'll definitley do some experimenting, I've got some more buckwheat and millet that I'm going to start malting tonight.

I think I'll start by just soaking some grains and beans etc in warm water and see how much of it they soak up then take it from there.

I reckon the really small pebbles you use in aquariums would do the trick too, so I might get some of them.

Did you get a chance to try the pebbles yet?

No yet. I've malted another batch of buckwheat but I'm in the middle of painting our house to sell it so I don't have much time for experimentation.

I'll keep you posted.

Back