Wild yeast and nutrients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emr454

Reaction score
So I've got a gallon of wild yeast cider bubbling away happily. Here is my documentation of my experience so far:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/howto-capture-wild-yeast-101886/index38.html#post2143717

I decided to use Hightest's SNA schedule to help fermentation along. I didn't add any at innoculation, but during active fermentation I added the stage 2 nutrients and wow! Immediately I had a reaction and thought it was going to fizz out the top of the carboy. Just a few minutes ago I added the last dose of nutrients and had the same reaction, lots of fizzing and bubbling. It was such a strong reaction that some of the trub at the bottom of the carboy was kicked up into suspension and swirling around.

I've never used the SNA schedule on any of my batches with ale yeast, but the wild yeast sure love it!

Eric

Well, fizzing and bubbling doesn't necessarily sound at all like a fermentation thing. It sounds like you created "nucleation points". Try it with other things- get out some soda for example, and sprinkle some nutrients in it. You'll get a volcano.

yup, the addition of the granular nutrients caused CO2 to come out of suspension, for a an example of what might have happened google "mentos and coke".

It's best to dissolve late nutrient additions in a bit of boiling water, it saves you having to wash the ceiling :)

Back