Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm giving this recipe a try in miniature, which about a quart of reconstituted frozen juice, a couple tablespoons of corn syrup and a pinch of champagne yeast in a glass rum bottle fitted with an airlock as a fermenter.

My original thought for doing this teeny tiny batch was to watch fermentation happen using ingredients I have on hand (I have a fermentation bucket.. not much excitement except when the airlock bubbles). After a few days, it tasted like sparkling apple juice with just the tiniest kick, and I will definitely make it again just for this particular stage. However, I'm so excited by how well this little experiment is turning out that I'm going to make a larger batch as soon as I get enough bottles together to bottle it and the beer currently in the fermenter (gosh, I really need to look into kegging.)

I like the idea of using this as grog, but can see the concern about how much alcohol would be burned off if heating a portion to mull the spices.

What about using fresh apple juice for mulling instead of water or apfelwein? I'd think apple juice would complement the wein's flavor without diluting it like water would, as well as add a touch of sweetness.

Mulling in applejuice, that's a perfect idea! I knew it was a good idea to ask you guys ;) I'll start on it this afternoon and i'll let you know what the guests think.

A side note, I did this exact recipe with pomegranate/blueberry juice instead of apple, and DAMN its some good stuff. Absolutely needs some aging time though, not a quick brew. I suggest trying every type of juice you can get your hands on and ferment the hell out of it using Eds simple approach.

mike

Not yet a week in and I already stole a sample. I have the willpower of an infant.

Boy, this stuff is going to freaking rock.

I can see us (me) going through a lot of this.

I simply can't get over how easy it is to make.

Thanks Ed.

After a few days, it tasted like sparkling apple juice with just the tiniest kick,

Another way to keep some sweetness and apple taste would be to stop it before its done fermenting with a little potassium sorbate. Mine is pretty strong and pretty dry. I should have split the batch into smaller batches and done some experimentation.

FWIW, I threw some bentonite into the fermentor and man did it get clean. It looks great.

Alright. 19 days in now. I just took a gravity reading and siphoned off an immature liter for sampling.

The activity in the airlock was down to one bubble every 40 seconds and the gravity reading was .996 (for a total present total of 8.65% ABV) so I'm guessing this is close to as dry as it's going to get. However, it's still very cloudy, as you'd expect.

My recipe was EdWort's original, with the addition of a half tsp of cinnamon and a teaspoon of vanilla to a 5 gallon batch. I think I can *almost* taste the vanilla and I'm not sure I'd want much more than I added, but the extra flavor is satisfying. Of course, I wonder what the original recipe is like... but I don't have that luxury (of course, that's why it's always smarter to start out with the basics... so you know how your additions alter the flavor).

Overall, the flavor is good. It's not as dry as I was expecting after having read everybody saying "dry dry dry". Yes, it's dry, but it's not like sucking on a bone in the middle of the Sahara. It's maybe a touch dryer than commercial ciders, but nothing too out of the ordinary.

The apple flavor is there, it's tangy like most alcoholic drinks, but it's definitely not going to make you pucker.

I can't wait till it clears and I can bottle and carbonate it.

Once a year the local apple ranch has a giant truck that stops at pre determined areas and sells their apple cider by the gallon. Its amazly inexpensive, well balanced for apfelwein/cider, and fresh.

I took the liberty of buying 10 gallons. I pitched a white wine yeast, used campden and transfered every month for three months.

The final gravity, like much of you have exclaimed, was under 1.00 and the product was very tart and dry. I kegged it, carbonated it, and chilled it before I added 2 cans of Langers Apple Concentrate per 5 gallons and it paired perfectly. Just a subtle hint of sweetness to keep the edge off the tart bite. And Langers makes a good apple drink anywho, so I know the flavor would be spot-on.

So, I'm sure someone else has already posted this, but its worth re-iterating... Add apple juice concentrate if your apfelwein is too tart.

Final calculations was 8.4% and it never dropped bright.

Merry Xmas
DigDan

Sorry, but I've got a little paranoia seeping in.

So once the cider clears itself, there will still be plenty of yeast in suspension to bottle carbonate, correct?

I'm looking at the amount of yeast at the bottom of the liter I siphoned and chilled and I'm wondering, "is there really gonna be enough yeast left to carb?"

I know the answer is Yes. I just need someone to confirm it. Thanks. :mug:

I noticed today that my cider suddenly turned rather dark, just like the pictures from EdWort. And the bubbles are down to one every 2 minutes. I guess that means the fermentation is just about done and the yeast is starting to settle... I was surprised though by the darkening. One day it was rather light colored, the next day it was very noticeably darker.

On a side note, about that liter I siphoned off and chilled...

It actually did get quite a bit drier over the past few days!!! It is now about as dry as I had imagined it would be. Dry. I will keep it as is, carb with various means, and see how I like it. But yeah, it's drying out.

It's actually getting clarifying. The yeast is beginning to flocculate and drop out.

Let it go at least 4 weeks, keg, force carb and enjoy!

Well, without having looked at this LONG thread previously, I apparently am brewing nearly this same recipe... but I'm using WPL775 English Cider Yeast.

4Gal Fresh cider from a local orchard (unpasturized, unpreserved) - $20
2# light brown sugar - $1.50
WLP775 - $8
OG - 1.064

Nearly as expensive as a batch of extract beer, but I'll reuse the yeast cake for a 2nd batch, and probably use a grocery store / BJs Club brand of juice for the next batch.

I heated my cider to 170°F for 10 minutes, cooled to 65°F (thermometer issue :mad: ) and pitched after a vigorous aeration with a baloon whisk & pour into a 5gal glass carboy.

It's been fermenting away at about 66°F (2°F below it's optimum fermenting temp) for 12 days now. It's still plugging away about 5 bubbles/min from my airlock. I'm planning to go the lactose route for sweetening, and will likely do the 2nd batch with splenda, just for comparison. I'll be bottling for condidtioning & carb.

Great thread, and I'm amazed at the number of pages!

This thread gave me the idea to name my creation Mapfelwein. It's about 2.5 gallons of cyser mixed with 2.5 gallons of maple wine. Really nice together.

Looking forward to trying this in the future. Looks like something I could get my wife to try, as she will not drink beer.

Ok ok ok. So I cheated. I had that liter that I siphoned off while taking the SG reading about a week ago. I kept it in the fridge so the yeast died off quicker and it cleared up and I was sampling it every other day until tonight... when I just poured myself three glasses of it.

It definitely grows on you!!!

It's still a bit dry, but it's nothing that some carbonation won't cure. Unfortunately, I can't force carb, but some dextrose should do the trick. Or molasses. Or concentrate.

:mug: <--- that's apfelwein.

one day, you will glance at the bottle and be surprised that it's suddenly gotten noticeably darker. It happens like overnight. Then it starts to clear...

Kegged mine tonight! It finished at 9.3% ABV, and it's quite dry in flavor...but TASTY!

It has enough apply goodness, though, that I finally made something that SWMBO likes! I was going to back-sweeten with lactose, but she likes it as is! Awesome.

It's getting force carbed tonight. I wound up with almost 6 gallons, so I bottled a bit with some carb drops as well. I can't wait to put this on tap!

My recipe was 6 gallons of Sam's Club "Maker's Mark" Apple Juice and 2 lbs of corn sugar with Montrachet yeast. Guess that brand has a touch more sugar than TreeTop.

Yuri_Rage said:
Kegged mine tonight! It finished at 9.3% ABV, and it's quite dry in flavor...but TASTY!

It has enough apply goodness, though, that I finally made something that SWMBO likes! I was going to back-sweeten with lactose, but she likes it as is! Awesome.

Congrats! It's an aquired taste that takes about 3 glasses. Once that happens, desires to sweeten it fades.

I'll have to try that Sam's club juice!

Happy New Year!

just started two 5 gallon batches with Lalvin EC-1118. Used 2.5 lbs of corn sugar for each, let's hope it turns out well.

Started mine last night finally. Checked it this morning and getting one bubble every two minutes - might be a little too cold in my cellar just now.

EdWort said:
Congrats! It's an aquired taste that takes about 3 glasses. Once that happens, desires to sweeten it fades.

I'll have to try that Sam's club juice!

Happy New Year!
If this is an acquired taste, then I acquired that taste with the first hydrometer sample at 3 weeks! I didn't want to sweeten it, but I thought that might help make it a bit more palatable for SWMBO. Turns out she likes it as is.

Having a pint as we speak - wow is this good!

Speaking of the New Year - this might become my drink of choice for the midnight toast! Happy New Year!

Has anyone tried to make a small batch? I was wondering if I were to make a smaller batch if I would reduce the amount of yeast or if I would still dump the entire packet in?

ahsndpro said:
Has anyone tried to make a small batch? I was wondering if I were to make a smaller batch if I would reduce the amount of yeast or if I would still dump the entire packet in?
I'm thinking about doing a 1 gallon batch and I will pour a whole packet of yeast into it.
What would happen if I put some frozen concentrate into the juice instead of the sugar? Maybe get it to 1.080 or 1.090 and use a wine or champagne yeast?

RichBrewer said:
I'm thinking about doing a 1 gallon batch and I will pour a whole packet of yeast into it.
What would happen if I put some frozen concentrate into the juice instead of the sugar? Maybe get it to 1.080 or 1.090 and use a wine or champagne yeast?

If I were to do a one gallon batch, I'd buy a gallon of the juice I wanted, open it and pour off about 8 oz, then add 1/2 cup of dextrose, put the cap back on and shake it well to dissolve the sugar.

I would then sprinkle about a 1/2 a packet of Montrachet Wine yeast in there and put a rubber stopper in the mouth of the bottle with an airlock.

Then wait 4 weeks. As long as you use Montrachet, there won't be any blow off.

Alright, you guys were getting pretty excited about this stuff, so I decided to try a small batch (1gal) on the 21st. I've got a few questions:

1) I used an Ale yeast I had. Is the 4 week fermantation (long fermentation) because you used wine yeast or will my ale yeast take just as long? I didn't do a gravity reading so I'm kind of lost. Is it done fermenting when the bubbles stop coming from the carboy (the bubbles actually rising in the carboy, not the airlock...this stuff is bubbling like crazy)

2) After I "brewed" it I decided I that I wanted to add some cinnamin. I was thinking of adding some before I bottled, but will this fermant as well? I'm going to taste it before I bottle to decide if I'll prime, but if I do I don't want the cinnamin creating any bottle bombs.

1. Apple juice takes that long to ferment and for the yeast to begin to fall. Bubbles will continue for a long time from what I have seen. The airlock will bubble every now and then when enough pressure builds.

2. I don't think cinnamon is fermentable, but if you add it, I would let it age at least 4 weeks before tasting.

In any event, I use Montrachet wine yeast and I try to keep this as simple and easy as possible. If you make it my way, withhold judgment till after 3 chilled glasses. Most folks find that it is a tasty beverage after that.

RichBrewer said:
Maybe get it to 1.080 or 1.090 and use a wine or champagne yeast?

I made a cyser with champagne yeast and it turned out waayy too dry. I would go with what Ed recommends.

Ed, this is on the list of things to make in 07.

RichBrewer said:

Well, you'd get apple wine. You'd have about 13% alcohol, and a dry wine that you could sweeten up. It would take a year or so to age properly (but you could probably drink it as early as 6 months.) You'd have to be sure to use Campden tablets, since you'd have it around longer than the low alcohol "apfelwein".

I'm actually making an apple wine now, out of juice. It's going to be an off-dry table wine. I used this recipe:

APPLE JUICE WINE
1 gal fresh or bottled apple juice
1-1/4 lb granulated sugar
1 tsp acid blend
1-2/3 tsp pectic enzyme
1 crushed Campden tablet
1/4 to 1/2 tsp tannin
1-1/2 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkt Champagne wine yeast
In a primary, stir in sugar until completely dissolved. Add acid blend, 1/4 teaspoon tannin, yeast nutrient, and crushed Campden tablet. Stir well, cover primary and set aside for 12 hours. Stir in pectic enzyme and recover primary. After additional 12 hours, add activated yeast and recover primary. Stir daily for 10 days, keeping covered. Taste wine to determine tannin adequacy. If not adequate, stir in 1/8 teaspoon additional tannin and set aside 4 hours. Taste again to determine if another 1/8 teaspoon is required. When satisfied, rack into gallon secondary and fit airlock. Any additional wine can be poured into small bottle for topping up later and airlocked using #2 or #3 bung. Rack, top up and refit sirlock every 60 days for 6 months. Stabilize, sweeten if desired and wait 2 weeks. Rack into bottles and set aside one year.

It's just a different beverage- like a barleywine and a lager. Two different animals, but same basic ingredients.

Lorena

EdWort said:
If you make it my way, withhold judgment till after 3 chilled glasses. Most folks find that it is a tasty beverage after that.
It only took a sip before I was hooked. I recommend stopping after 3 pints - this stuff'll give you a wicked hangover. I drank about twice that on New Year's Eve. I wasn't terribly drunk, but I woke up terribly hung over.

I came back from vacation to discover the darker shade you all have been describing. It is also significantly clearer. It has been 3 weeks. I am very excited.

Has anyone else noticed this "nasty hangover" described above? What causes this to be prominent in this wine?

gonzoflick said:
Has anyone else noticed this "nasty hangover" described above? What causes this to be prominent in this wine?

I've had 3+ pints on several occasions now and didn't get a hangover.

From what I've heard, wine hangovers are from the perservatives - at least that's what my uncle, the winemaker tells me. I've never had a headache after drinking his wine either.

I do drink a glass or two of water before bed after any drinking however.

Ok, 5 weeks into this, and mine is still cloudy and looks like septic urine.

Haven't tasted, but I'd thought I'd get some comments on this, and see if anyone else has experienced this. Should I wait longer, add a clarifier or what??

Biermann said:
Ok, 5 weeks into this, and mine is still cloudy and looks like septic urine.

Haven't tasted, but I'd thought I'd get some comments on this, and see if anyone else has experienced this. Should I wait longer, add a clarifier or what??

Hmmm. Sounds tasty! :drunk:

What yeast did you use and what's your fermenting temp? Did you use clear juice or Natur trub cider?

My cellar is smelling fecking lovely - like being in a barrel of apples!!
Great to sit down there watching tv and listening to, plop, plop, plop - fell asleep down there listening to it!!! ..of course this had nothing to do with the beers that I was drinking ;)

Got a light behind it and it looks good too :D

So I couldn't resist the urge to jump on the bandwagon! I made a little 1 gallon experimental batch just to see how it goes. I can't wait!

ahsndpro said:
So I couldn't resist the urge to jump on the bandwagon! I made a little 1 gallon experimental batch just to see how it goes. I can't wait!
So did I. I made it this evening and it's already bubbling.
I used 2 12 oz cans of frozen concentrate
46oz. bottle of apple juice
1 1/4 pounds sugar
Red Star Montrachet dry yeast
I'm used to relying on ProMash so I guessed on this one and way over shot my OG. I dumped out about 2 quarts and topped off with water. My OG is 1.100.
This one is going to take some time!

Back