help with a VERY simple control box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkone

Reaction score
hey guys,

so i'm just about finished building my "brewery" which is electric assist gas-stove top pots.

i've got a HLT with 120v 1500w element
i've got a boil kettle with a 120v 1500w element
i've got a march pump

only one of these will ever be running at a given time.

i'm not concerned about PID control (yet) or anything of that sort, but i'd like to build a box that had three switches on it so i can plug all those things into it and just plug one plug into the wall.

what's the easiest way to go about this? should i GFCI all the plugs on the box AND the wall? just the wall?

thanks!

awesome.

can i just do this with light switches

I'd recommend 20a switches for the elements. What I would do is set up a single on/off toggle then have that go to a common on a SPDT toggle that would select one element or the other. That absolutely ensures you don't have both energized at the same time which would blow the breaker anyway.

I am partial to my toolbox based system, see my sig or click here http://***********/component/resource/article/1968-pumped-up-toolbox-projects. I know there was a recent thread in this section (Simple Brewing...) that took this idea and incorporated system controls. Best part is, I think you can get the tool box for under $10 at any big home improvement store.

awesome. i remember reading this don't know why i never connected that this is what i was looking for :)

10GA = 30A
12GA = 20A
14GA = 15A

As a basic rule of thumb. Length of the wires matters over long runs due to voltage drop, but I doubt as though you have to worry about that.

cool. thank you. it's been a long time since ninth grade science.

should i use 12ga wire even though i'm doing 15a? does that provide any benefit? or is the resistance higher?

You can always use larger gauge (smaller number) wire. The main issue with wire gauge is it heats up when electricity goes though. In fact a heating element is just high resistance wire. It is exactly the same principal.

Since you are only going short distances why not put in larger wire in case you ever want to increase the amperage with a new element. Since you are only going a short distance the extra thickness might be a difference of $2-3.

The voltage and heat difference would be negligible. However it would be safer and eaiser to upgrade if you wanted to.

fantastic. this board is such an awesome well of knowledge

Back