Blow Off Valve Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

json2001

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a Imperial Stout next week. I have a 6.5 gallon glass carboy.

Do I need to use a stopper? Or can I get some 1'' tubing and shove that in? What's best practice here, never used a blowoff.

Here is my carboy...pretty standard, but maybe the picture helps?

photomjn.jpg

Thanks in advance.

If I need a blowoff, i just put some 1/4 in tubing that I have into the hold on top of my plastic fermenter. It fits in there perfect and all the blowff easily makes its way out.

I havent done it with a carboy, but you can probably buy one of those carboy caps that has the 2 openings. Put the airlock in to start, and if it krausens high, you can easily affix a blow off tube.

My $.02

I was using the 1" tubing, but it's large and bulky and a bit of a pain to clean/store.
I found a PEX fitting that fit onto my carboy stopper, and I use standard 3/8" tubing just for blow offs (it gets cleaned, but remains stained, so I don't use it for anything else). So instead of the stiff 1", it's more flexible and easier to coil into a growler, etc

carboy-bungs.jpg

the stopper and the PEX

hydropex-female-sweat-adapt.gif

Just for what it's worth, I have two 4' pieces of 1 1/4" OD vinyl clear tubing (got it at Lowes) that I use for blow off tubes. I got tired of cleaning out airlocks. I put these into the mouth of the carboys (I always start two batches at the same time) and put the other ends into a gallon jug of clean water. Then I walk away, leave it alone for a couple of weeks or more. It's nice to walk into my beer room and hear the sound of the CO2 bubbling away. Works for me.

I use 1" ID vinyl tubing from HD. It fits perfectly.

+1. My only issue with this system is cleaning the dried krausen out of the tubing - it's too long for even my bottle brush to reach the center. I've had to tie string around a sponge and pull it through a few times. What a pain. I either need to shorten the tubing or figure out a different system.

Back