Show me your wind shield/screen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerapinChef

Reaction score
I'm obviously in need of a wind screen for my two burners on my stand. The place where I brew is in a bit of a suburban wind tunnel. I have an old SS pot that I'm getting ready to retire. As it already has holes in it, I'm thinking of just carving it up into two wind shields. Here's my pot, let me see how you all hooked up your burners to be wind proof...

3376271011_a3556d1e5a.jpg

That's a perfectly good pot - just go get some sheet metal from Home Depot and sell that pot to another homebrewer.

Actually it's not. The sandwiching on the bottom has rusted/eroded and now the bottom shoots shrapnel whenever I brew. One of the handles has fallen off (long before I got it) and the other one has been shoddily spot welded back on. That's why I want to get rid of it, but I figured I'd put it to good use. I'm thinking I can cut it into two large circles by removing the bottom and halfing what is left. I just wanted to see how people navigated around there burners, how much clearance, how they were mounted, etc.

Here's my Wind and Heat shields:

vdnvo6.jpg

The top one is just a piece of hardboard with 4 magnets hot clue to it. I added the handle to make it easier to move.

The bottom is the heat shield, just some shield metal screwed to a piece of 1/2" plywood. It just rests on the inside of the angle iron, but it works fine. I keep my propane tank on a shelf on the other side of it.

Personally, I'd find another use for the pot... maybe sandwich the 1/2" plywood between two pieces of sheetmetal. It'll be a heat shield, windshield and shrapnel shield. :mug:

Its notched. You can see the tab bent to the inside in the first burner. There is a hose clamp that secures it to the burner. It's also notched and tabbed to mount it to the burner bracket. Then bolted to the bracket. Its a cut up cornie that my LHBS donated to me because it had a hole in it. I got 3 shields out of the cornie.

Back