carbonating aged ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camelman

Reaction score
i have 5 gallons of strong american pale ale (s.g 1.084/f.g. 1.011)
its been dry hopped and in secondary for 50 weeks !! tasted it today
and it tasted fine . want to know how much new yeast to add, if any to
get the right level af carbonation .

Well.... I've seen it stated on a different forum (by a guy who claims to age his big beers for multiple years) that you don't need to pitch any more yeast. It might take a while for the beer to carbonate.... but you've already waited 50 weeks... what harm is there in waiting another 6 to 8?

:)

That said, I'd probably pitch more yeast. I would mix up my priming sugar and pitch a packet of dry yeast into it. When it started to foam a bit, put it in the bucket, rack your well-aged beer into it and bottle.

Please follow up here to let us know what you decide to do, and what the outcome is like.

-walker

thanks man i will keep updating ... by the way the it tasted incredible. something like a dfh smelled wonderfuland look crystal clear w/ long legs . bythe way what type of yeast do you suggest?

the yeast is probably not that important since it's only going to be fermenting a small amount of corn sugar, but if it concerns you, use the same strain that you fermented with.

-walker

I am curious how you got it down to 1.011 FG. If my math is correct, thats 87% attenuation. Did you use any honey or corn sugar in the recipe?

yes i used 1 lb of inverted sugar i got from the pastry chef . i belive it was called trimoline.
amber dme 4lbs
wheat dme 4lbs
biscut 8 oz
special-b 8 oz
aromatic 8oz
caramunich 8oz
hops
mag 1oz
columbus .5 oz
centennial 1 oz
cent 1oz(dry)
white lab #1