Orfy's Hob Goblin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulthenurse

Fecal Transplant Super Donor
Reaction score
Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah
Or Mr Christmas, or whatever he's calling himself these days.

I woke up early and couldn't get back to sleep so I decided to keg the Hob Goblin that's been in secondary for a month. I was VERY impressed with how this tasted going into the keg. VERY nicely done. Hats off to Orphy. I follwed your all grain recipie and the taste of the different grains all come thru very nicely.

PTN

Mine has been in the bottle for about a week (Extract), after an extended conditioning of almost a month in secondary because I couldn't find time to bottle. The hydro samples were good, and I'll probably break down and open a bottle at the one week mark.

Looking forward to it.

Did the one week sample. Needs some more aging. I used LME for the first time in awhile and I think I got the "twang" again. Should have known better.

I brewed a batch in June and bottle conditioned the bulk of it. Had a bottle recently - it has markedly improved with age.

GT

I have hobgoblin on tap for my Christmas crowd. So, Orfy is spreading Christmas cheer even if doesn't like it.

I just kegged my first-ever all-grain batch, which happened to be Orfy's Hobgoblin. Kudos and thanks for the recipe, you old grinch! ;)

I can't believe I never looked at this recipe before. I think this will be my next brew.

I've had a Hob Goblin twice, and both times wasn't too impressed. My buddy is a huge fan, and said that you can't just the Hob by the canned version we get. Is there a real difference? I didn't think it had much flavor really.

jacobyhale said:
I've had a Hob Goblin twice, and both times wasn't too impressed. My buddy is a huge fan, and said that you can't just the Hob by the canned version we get. Is there a real difference? I didn't think it had much flavor really.

I haven't had the original Hobgoblin, but this recipe is damn tasty. Then again, it's supposed to be fairly close to the original, so maybe your tastes would be better suited for another beer.

When you first brew the recipe it is roastier than the original.
After aging I think it's pretty spot on.

I don't think you could describe it as having little flavour. I suppose people have different tastes.

orfy said:
When you first brew the recipe it is roastier than the original.
After aging I think it's pretty spot on.

I don't think you could describe it as having little flavour. I suppose people have different tastes.

How long should they age? Mine are really roasty after being in the bottles about a month.

I said the same thing on the phone yesterday - my buddy Kim and I split 10 gal of it, and without collaborating, we racked from secondary to (bottles for him, keg for me) on the SAME day within an hour of each other. We both called each other @ the same time to tell the other how delicious it was!

I drank all the dregs flat. It was yummy. I was a happy little brewer.

Now I just gotta wait till I get CO2. In the mean time, do your little self-carb thing! :D

I'm hoping some of the twang ages out of this beer. I need to brew something else and just let it sit. It's not bad, but that damned aftertaste is annoying at times.

I hate LME!!!!! (If you've had a good LME beer, you are luckier than I am)

I've had Hobgoblin in a bottle once at a local restaurant. I really enjoyed the beer and intend to make a Orphy's clone at some point.
I think it has plenty of flavor but it is mellow compared to many American microbrewed beers like IPAs and big stouts. It is very restrained in hops so that may be part of the reason you find it lacks flavor. I find it easy to drink and a nice change of pace from my usual IPAs and Stouts.
Craig

I love this recipe. I have a bit left in the keg. I think next brew session, I will make this again along with something lighter that SWMBO would like more.

I brewed the Hobgoblin 2 weeks ago and it still in primary (no room to go secondary right now). Should I bottle in 3 weeks (this Sat) or transfer to secondary for a couple more weeks?
BTW, Bought a 750ml bottle from Bevmo ($3.99) and tasted it for the first time. Very good, but quite a difference from the US pales and IPA's. Not even close to a British Bitter.

Can't wait to try my clone.

It won't hurt to secondary it, even late, because it'll just clarify more, and who doesn't love sparkling-clear Hobgoblin?

Likewise, if you're not worried about a crystal clear drink, it'll probably taste delicious from a 3wk primary straight to bottle. Just check that FG reading so as you don't get bottle bombs.

I let mine age quite a while. It was good at 8 weeks, but at about 4 months I polished off the majority of the keg in very short order:drunk:

Back