How much HME for 2 gallon brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elizabethk

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on starting my very 1st home brew this weekend - a Belgium wheat beer. I went to my local brew shop today and they gave me a 1.7 kg (3.7 lb) can of HME to use for my 2 gallon fermenting chamber (Mr. Beer). Is this the correct amount of HME? I will not be adding any adjunct to the mixture.

Thank you for your advice!

IIRC, liquid malt extract contributes 37 gravity points per pound. So 3.7 lbs times 37 points divided by 2 gallons yields approx. 68 gravity points, or 1.068. That will be a rather hefty beer, if that's what you were aiming for. You might try to make a 2.5 gallon batch (that's what I always did with my MrBeer). That would give you a starting gravity of 1.055, which seems more reasonable but it's not for me to decide.

Cheers!

Another new Mr. Beer brewer here. I'm running through the 3 Mr. Beer HME's I wound up with (two in my kit and another in a kit someone at work didn't want). I modded the first two batches (fermenting now) with steeped grains, DME and hop additions. There are other recipes I'd like to try which, of course, means adapting 5 gal to slightly over 2 gal.

Agreed - 3.7lbs is a bit much, even if you bumped it to 2.25gal.

3.3lbs of HME/LME is pretty much spot on. Briess puts out some non-hopped LME varieties in that size which are pretty easy to adapt for use in our LBKs.

Best of luck with your first batch of brew. Check out this thread which gave me some good tips before starting - http://www.mrbeerfans.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/207387/How_to_get_a_decent_beer_from_.html#Post207387

Back